Getting engine rattling noise at high RPMs. Normal? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2019, 3:53 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Getting engine rattling noise at high RPMs. Normal?

Hello all. I have a 2007 R Sport that I have had for a few months now and I have noticed that at above 5000 RPM all the way to red line I'm getting a bit of a rattling sound coming from the engine. My guess is the cam chain is making a bit of noise. Engine seems to run fine and makes plenty of power. I know these engines put out a lot of mechanical noise when they run but I just want to see if that's a normal sound from the K1200 engine. The bike idles quiet and doesn't have any clutch rattle or startup rattle that has plague lots of k1200 engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Garage
Do you have the "Flat Plate" cam chain tensioner? If so the cam chain is most likely the source of your noise. Take it to a dealer and have them hear the noise just to be sure.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2019, 6:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
I dont know for sure if I have that one or not. I'm going to make an amateur assumption and say yes because mine... looks like a flat plate. Here's a picture of mine perhaps you can answer that for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0889.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	25407  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2019, 7:10 pm
Rookie

That's definitely the stocker. Probably time to replace it with a Manual tensioner and make sure to do the jump guard at the same time.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2019, 10:46 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabratwurst View Post
I dont know for sure if I have that one or not. I'm going to make an amateur assumption and say yes because mine... looks like a flat plate. Here's a picture of mine perhaps you can answer that for me.
Yes that is the early style (flat plate). You can buy the upgraded "Reservoir" cam chain tensioner or a manual one

Take a look at these links. They will give you a better idea of what you want.

Here's a link to the BMW upgraded one.

https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/e...id=11317717287

Here's a link to a manual one.

K1200R

I have used both of them on many BMW's. The "Reservoir" cam chain tensioner is install it and forget it and the SCMW manual one needs to be checked one in a while.

As for the cam chain jump guard it may have been done already. Call your local dealer and give them your vin number. They can tell you.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2019, 7:01 am
Noob

The reservoir type was a factory replacement so you should hit your dealer up for the replacement.

It's so nice to be insane No one asks you to explain
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2019, 12:00 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Thanks for the info. I'll take everyones advice and contact my local dealer and have them run my VIN to see if the chain guard has been done yet. BMW sells the guard for about $8 so Ill see if my local shop has it. I found a great visual guide on rvbprecision.com that shows the chain guard installation. Pretty straight forward only snag is buying lost of one time use aluminum bolts and a proper torque wrench. Sounds like a simple $80 can potentially prevent a $9000 job down the road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode