BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Getting engine rattling noise at high RPMs. Normal?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  deltabratwurst 
#1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2007 R Sport that I have had for a few months now and I have noticed that at above 5000 RPM all the way to red line I'm getting a bit of a rattling sound coming from the engine. My guess is the cam chain is making a bit of noise. Engine seems to run fine and makes plenty of power. I know these engines put out a lot of mechanical noise when they run but I just want to see if that's a normal sound from the K1200 engine. The bike idles quiet and doesn't have any clutch rattle or startup rattle that has plague lots of k1200 engines.

#5 ·
Yes that is the early style (flat plate). You can buy the upgraded "Reservoir" cam chain tensioner or a manual one

Take a look at these links. They will give you a better idea of what you want.

Here's a link to the BMW upgraded one.

https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/genuine-spare-parts/bmw-spare-parts?itemid=11317717287

Here's a link to a manual one.

K1200R

I have used both of them on many BMW's. The "Reservoir" cam chain tensioner is install it and forget it and the SCMW manual one needs to be checked one in a while.

As for the cam chain jump guard it may have been done already. Call your local dealer and give them your vin number. They can tell you.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll take everyones advice and contact my local dealer and have them run my VIN to see if the chain guard has been done yet. BMW sells the guard for about $8 so Ill see if my local shop has it. I found a great visual guide on rvbprecision.com that shows the chain guard installation. Pretty straight forward only snag is buying lost of one time use aluminum bolts and a proper torque wrench. Sounds like a simple $80 can potentially prevent a $9000 job down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.