Work shop manual - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2019, 7:17 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Work shop manual

Hi all, have just taken delivery of a MY2016 K13R first registered late 2017 with 5000kms on the clock. Was hoping for a Clymer manual as I have for my 2002 K12RS but alas these are not available. Any recommendations on the best user friendly manual available, and (preferably) for Mac. Thanks for your help.

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 182,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, 5000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2019, 1:37 pm

The only service manual I know of for the K1300 is a DVD. There are knock offs on the web. I suggest you go big and purchase the OEM BMW manual rather than intellectual property rip off copies. Also I believe these are for PC's not macks. A used or cheap laptop for your shop is in order. Especially if you purchase a GS-911 to help you in your maintenance by reading computer data from your bike. If you think about it an OEM copy is like buying a specialty tool, well worth the price. Your easy to use comment is interesting. Working from a BMW dvd is intended for someone with some fairly good mechanical abilities. It has all the data you need but basic understanding of working on machinery sure helps. I find the specific job I want to do, then the list at the head of all the preparation for the job is there. I print each one of those and put it all together in order. Much of it is familiar stuff but it keeps me focused and on path to have the correct order of jobs to get to what I want to really do. Then it is filed in my maintenance log book for the next time. Maybe someone will confirm if the DVD will work with Mac but I have note done so myself. Even the GS911 is dual but easier on a PC.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2019, 7:20 pm
Noob

There is a guy on BMW MOA that sells the maintenance DVD. Personally, considering the exorbitant price BMW expects you to pay for this, Iím not sure I would consider this theft of intellectual property. When I bought a new Moto Guzzi, the dealer GAVE me a copy of the maintenance DVD. Generally, it seems BMW parts are half the cost in Germany. For instance, the touring case for an R1200RS lists in the U.S. for $515.00 apiece. I bought mine from a dealer in Germany for about $240.00 apiece. I feel BMW is taking advantage of us because they can. Itís your money, and your call, but buying the DVD, or any BMW part, on Ebay is a crap shoot. The DVD I bought on BMW MOA works, but one I bought on Ebay did not work.

ZOOMIE
2015 K1300S
2016 R1200RS
FREE STATE OF IDAHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2019, 3:25 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks very much for the replies. I certainly have a reasonable grasp of mechanical procedures having done the dreaded O-ring replacement, and all service items on my K1200RS. Looks like it’s a cheap PC and a quality DVD.

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 182,000kmís
The family history

Last edited by flyingkiwi; Nov 28th, 2019 at 3:30 am.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2019, 11:58 am

Sounds like your in great shape. Companies like BMW spend tens of thousands of dollars if not more making these manuals. They are cheap in my opinion for all the knowledge they contain. The latest versions have the print icon missing in the upper right of the menu bar. There is a blank space, click on that invisible print icon and yes it will print the section your looking at.
Great choices. I suspect after the dust settles you will be buying that GS-911 too.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2019, 4:53 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Ok, so a used PC has been purchased to run a DVD workshop manual. Although Iím happy to buy a new manual, interestingly, there are plenty of K1300 bikes for sale but oem DVD manuals are thin on the ground. In fact I canít find a used oem manual anywhere. While buying a new workshop manual from BMW is always an option, it would be nice to buy used from a member who no longer has need for it. Send me a PM if you have one for sale.

The family history
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2019, 5:09 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkiwi View Post
.........Any recommendations on the best user friendly manual available, and (preferably) for Mac. Thanks for your help.
I run the bmw DVD on an iMac

It's so nice to be insane No one asks you to explain
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 4:11 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks Capt, but my better half is dead against me running windows in parallel on our office Mac. Besides, with a cheap PC purchased, it can live in the garage/workshop and I donít have to be concerned about the odd greasy paw on the white Mac keys. Now if someone would just chime in on the classified pages with a workshop DVD for sale....

The family history
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 4:51 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I see Bike Bandit is claiming to be selling oem workshop manuals at 63.00 which is nearly half the 110.00 MAXBMW is selling it for. They are displaying the part number and a diagram of the part as seen on MAX’s fiche. I know it’s not a huge amount to pay the full MAX price but 1USD cost 1.48AUD Plus freight, so the cost mounts. On top of that MAX doesn’t even have one available, it’s on factory backorder with NO eta. Anyone care to comment as to the authenticity of the Bandit’s DVD’s as that old saying is ringing in my ears - If it seems too good to be true....

The family history

Last edited by flyingkiwi; Dec 2nd, 2019 at 4:59 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode