Valve cover oil leak - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2020, 2:48 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Valve cover oil leak

Hey all - After getting a few miles in on my new to me 2006 K1200R, I'm getting a fairly substantial oil leak out of what seems like the valve cover gasket on the front right side of the motor. It only leaks when the motor is running at riding RPMs. Doesn't seem to happen at idle and definitely nothing while the bike is sitting (side stand or rear stand). The leak itself is bad enough that I'll have a small puddle under the bike just sitting at a stop light...and of course it's getting on the rear tire (def not a fan of that).

I'm new to BMW's, not bikes in general, so I thought I'd ask for the wisdom of the internet before I start turning wrenches.

A couple questions:

1) Is this a fairly common issue? The bike only has about 4800 miles on it but has sat for about 5 years. Searching the Googles hasn't turned up much and nothing specific to the R. I assume just a gasket failure from age, but the fact that it doesn't happen at idle has me wondering if there's more to it.

2) The job looks pretty straight forward...remove side covers, radiator, pull the valve cover, clean, new gasket...reassemble and torque to spec. Are there any nuances to BMW's that I need to be aware of? These things are way more electronic and seemingly sensitive than the bikes I'm used to working on.

3) OEM gasket I assume? I'm sure I can have a local deal track something down. Any recommendations for a reputable online retailer?

4) Anything I'm missing here?

Much appreciated.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2020, 11:37 pm

https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/43-k1...lve-cover-leak.
Gasket could have hardened. How many miles have you done. Leaks normally occur - if at all - on the left hand side where the valve cover fits over the water pump

It's so nice to be insane No one asks you to explain
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2020, 8:12 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt howdy View Post
https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/43-k1...lve-cover-leak.
Gasket could have hardened. How many miles have you done. Leaks normally occur - if at all - on the left hand side where the valve cover fits over the water pump
The link didn't work unfortunately. The bike is really low mileage, just over 4800 at the moment, but it spent a lot of it's life sitting in a garage not being used so a hardened gasket wouldn't surprise me.

This is definitely a right side leak.

Looks like $80 for a new gasket a few hours of wrenching should get this one fixed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2020, 6:31 pm

Just in case you don't have the reprom dvd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	26671  

It's so nice to be insane No one asks you to explain
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2020, 10:40 pm
Enthusiast

The right side has not casting angles other than flat. The left side has a notch for the waterpump drive. Both inside and outside corners need to be cleaned of old sealant (if you re use the gasket) and a dab of high temp O2 safe RTV put on these locations.
It is not as simple a job as you think. The radiator needs to be removed. This cascades to having to refill while the coolant system is under vacuum of 25" or more. There are areas where bubbles form in the head that need to be minimized by this technique. Your bike has few miles on it, a nice thing. I seriously suggest you buy the Factory DVD so you can read all the little details and not get into trouble. Well worth it if you own the bike and intend to do your own work. There is no other service manual available. Do a search on refilling coolant and see what is up. You can buy the vacuum kit on Amazon.
Something like this is what you will need, besides a good air compressor to power it.
https://www.tooltopia.com/uview-550000.aspx
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=radiator+...b_sb_ss_i_1_20

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2020, 2:29 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Well...swung on and missed.

Getting the valve cover off wasn't too big of a task. Got it cleaned up, old sealant removed, new gasket put on, added high temp RTV as directed by the manual and the trouble spots on the right side front corner...got it all put back together and still having an issue. So looks like I'll be pulling it all part and trying again. Best guess is maybe the gasket slipped a little when I put the valve cover back on? It looks ok, but I guess it doesn't take much for a leak to form.

Related...the vacuum fill process for the coolant is pretty slick and super easy to do! Way easier than the old funnel and burp method.

Last edited by wingspan; May 14th, 2020 at 7:43 pm.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2020, 4:11 pm

Garage
When you remove the valve cover again, check that the lower camchain guide rail hasn‘t slipped upwards hitting the valve cover.

And yes, a gasket thats been without oil for 5 years will go bad.....(my opinion)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2020, 7:45 am

Mine leaked just like yours. I refused to pull the cover. Ieven worked it in place without radiator removal!! I loosened the cover bolts, pried it up with a wood wedge enough to get some clearance between gasket and the cover. Then I put some Permatex Right Stuff Sealer between the gasket and cover where it leaked. Removed the wedge and let the cover relax. I let the Permatex settle and cure. Retightened the cover bolts. BINGO! LEAK RESOLVED!

Once the cover was tight, I removed any excess sealer with a razor blade.

BILL
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2020, 7:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Gasket change #2 and progress!!

Double checked the CAM chain tensioner...I thought the exact same thing!...all was good there.

RTV'd the gasket corners on both sides and saw a massive improvement. I still have a small little drop from the front right corner but I think a dab of RTV should resolve it.

I'm wondering if either the head or cover is warped just enough. From experience, it doesn't take much for oil to leak through.

Fun-ish story, managed to drop my brand new Airlift and cracked the gauge...cause f**k me, right? It's my fault entirely for not being extra cautious when vac pressure dropped. Guess I get the pleasure of buying another one.

I thought only Ducati made mechanics out of riders...

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2020, 6:57 am

If you look how the valve cover bolts to the head, you will see that the block boss that the cover screw screws into makes hard contact with the part of the cover where the cover bolt goes through before there is any clamping force on the gasket.

I don't think the cover is as much warped as it is concaved in the center to cause less clamping force on the gasket. Yes a new cover would solve that issue. Just HATE spending that much money on something that a $12.00 tube of sealer will fix.

Like I said, mine is leak free since about 1 1/2 years ago using the sealer fix. I'm not into giving BMW any more hard earned money than I have to. I will short cut them anyway I can!

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode