Trouble with part under the oil cap - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2020, 1:59 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Trouble with part under the oil cap

I accidently pushed in the plastic piece under the oil cap into the tank and can not fish it out. Does anyone have any ideas to retrieve this part and can I still ride with it in my oil tank? The K1200S is my daily vehicle and am currently immobile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 7:31 pm

Hey Michael I think the part you are talking about is an oil strainer that is attached to the cap/dipstick at the top of the oil tank. I don't imagine it would cause any problems as firstly it would probably float and second being a strainer it is unlikely to block the oil outlet. Have you tried removing the oil level indicator - the oval flange with two screws right next to the oil cap That may give you more access.

It's so nice to be insane No one asks you to explain
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 12:15 am
Enthusiast

Good idea to remove the float for more room to fish. Make a wire with a hook, give it some time, you will find it. And, If it were my bike (have a K13) I would ride it and keep looking for the part it is not going to block the suction outlet. You are not the first to loose this trash basket. Not even sure why it was put there other than to cause aggravation. I pull mine out each oil change because I use a suction device. I don't bother with that little tube.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 9:29 am
Noob

Mine did the same thing. Fished it out with a coat hanger, need to drain the tank but no big deal. Threw it away. Design flaw if you ask me.

Big deal is if it gets on your supply line to the pump. Motor go boom real quick. That's where mine was and no screen over the opening either.

GET IT OUT! DON'T EVEN START THE ENGINE!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode