Leaking valve covers - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Camshaft22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2020, 5:28 am Thread Starter
Noob

Leaking valve covers

I have been watching with interest the discussions on leaking valve covers, especially in the side of the cam chain drive,
Then, would you believe it mine has sprung a leak in that area (bottom corner of right hand side)
My bike has 9000 Miles on it and it is a k1300r dynamic 2013.
I bought a gasket and the vacuum fill kit (26 gbp). But ‘just in case’ I invested in a lower chain guide. This turned out to me an accidental master-stroke!
I stripped it down to find the lower chain guide poking up past the gasket face of the head. A corresponding piece of the valve cover has a cast-in web to hold the top of the chain guide. So how could this be? The guide appeared to be applying upward pressure to the valve cover, right in the vicinity of the leak.
So I took off the clutch cover to look at the bottom of the guide. This was securely in place located on the ‘foot’ of the cam chain jump-guide that had been a modification from the original design. As it is easy to pull the jump-guard out I did just that, to find that the chain guide could be pushed lower and sit perfectly aligned to the top face of the head. Mmmm.
I cable-tied the sprocket to the chain and undid the sprocket bolts, pulled it sideways to release the chain guide. I now could compare the original chain guide to my new one.
Well there you go! The new guide was 3mm shorter than the original one.
I te-installed the jump-guard to the bottom sprocket fitted the new chain guide and guess what? It aligned perfectly with the top face of the head.
So my theory is (and I would love to find this on a bmw update&#x1f604 That when the jump-guard was retro-fitted it pushed the chain guide higher. They obviously fitted this longer guide up until 2013 when my bike was registered.
I hope this helps. In hindsight there is enough spare plastic to cut down the Top of original guide by the 2-3 mm required and save yourselves 20 gbp.
It is back together and leak free. The vacuum filler is brilliant too!
Steve
Capt howdy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode