BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

07 R Sport Cam Chain Cover Plate Leak

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Beech 
#1 ·
Afternoon all, I’ve got a 07 K1200R sport with about 83,000 on the clock. I noticed on the right side after a long ride I’ll usually have a drop of oil that collects in the pit below the cam chain cover plate. Looking through the sketches from BMW on that side there doesn’t seem to be a gasket for that cover. Is this something to worry about? Would it be possible using a liquid type of gasket to correct? And if so, the 2 bolts on top, am I able to just loosen and lift to wipe and apply the liquid gasket? New to BMW - been Honda for life to this point. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you owned this bike from new? That is the cam chain tensioner. What is shown is not OEM. The factory unit has an O-ring seal inside and seldom leaks. Most people up date this to the K13 unit. Some install fixed mechanical ones but you need do a careful adjustment and check it once and a while. Being after market (the looks of it) there is probably a gasket that is seeping. Those bolts are E8 torx. Not much area to work with.
To to MAX BMW parts fiche and have a look at the engine parts list.
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

#3 ·
As Beech said, that is the Cover for the cam chain tensioner. Inside is a small piston that gets pushed out with oil pressure to keep your cam chain tight. There is a small rubber gasket in there which could be the source of the leak. BMW came out with a revised assembly that contains an oil reservoir to help the tensioner "pressurize" faster to prevent that annoying rattle at startup. You can get a replacement gasket but I would recommend just buying the revised tensioner from BMW. (Part number #11317717287) There is also a company down in California that makes a manual adjusting one as well. Cant remember the name of the company though.

Attachments

#5 ·
Awesome, thank you! I will call the dealer about 2 hours of where I am at and see what they say - the local dealer is a joke. I bought it from a family friend who owned it since new. I did the oil and drive fluid change this past weekend - I got crust washers for it but once done realized there really was no where to use them other than the rubber o ring for the final drive drain plug.. thanks gents ! I’m going to drain the radiator soon and put some new spark plugs in it - I’m sure I’ll run into more questions when that comes around..

#6 ·
Along with this problem you need to check if you have the cam chain jump guard, If you don't the dealer will install one for free. If you open the large disk on the clutch cover over the end of the crank shaft you can look in and see if you have one. Takes a rather large torx to fit in there. Re seals easily so don't wory. The jump guard looks dark and to the right. First picture has a jump guard installed and the second does not. A 50$ piece of plastic but the screws to get the cover off are another 40 or so. Then there is the gasket. If the original silicone/aluminum gasket is not bent you can re use it. But otherwise another 50 for a gasket. If that cam chain jumps a tooth at start up because of a bad tensioner, you will be lucky if you don't loose your engine.

Attachments

#7 ·
Called a dealer in New Philadelphia Ohio as from what I have heard they do amazing work and they don’t give you the run around. Around 2014 the guard was installed and logged in the database. Along with fuel pump and a myriad of other things. Mechanic said on that type of plate they use a liquid gasket of sorts and sometimes it brakes it’s seal. Around August I’ll take it there for new tires and have them take a look at it. I am mechanically inclined but not great on BMW yet - the final drive was interesting to do last weekend..

#8 ·
I suggest you buy the Factory service DVD, it is very helpful. All the details on how to take things apart and re install besides how to do service procedures. It is not a what's wrong type of thing, only a how to series of instructions. Pictures, tools if special ones are needed. Well worth the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.