BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Verholen Bar Risers for K1200R

17K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  chriscanning 
#1 ·
I had the Verholen bar risers (purchased from A&S) installed on my K1200R. They raise the bars 80 mm (3.2 inches). They look great. Only problem is that the clutch cable and brake cable are also raised 3.2", and therefore cross directly in front of the dashboard, thereby blocking the view of a good part of the speedometer, and most of the on-board computer. I was shocked. This is absolutely unacceptable, and a safety issue to boot. I can't believe I paid $385 for the bar riser kit, 2+ hours labor, and the product is basically defective. I might as well not have a speedo or trip computer.

When I went to Verholen's website for the K1200R bar risers, it turns out that the picture they have is of a K1200S with the risers, not a K1200R. (The cables and installation are very different).

I actually took my bike into A&S cycles and had them look at it, including their service manager. They agreed there was a problem, offered to work on the bike but charge me regular service rates. To me that wasn't reasonable, given that, IMO, they sold me a defective part.

Here's the solution I came up with with my dealer: If you want the Verholen bar risers for the K1200R, I would order the kit for the K1200S which comes without the cables. The kit for the K1200S costs only $225 (even better, I'd order it from the Pirate, he's got better customer svc), and comes with no cables, vs. the kit for the K1200R which costs $385 because it comes with a brake and throttle cable.

I would then take the bike to a dealer, have them install the bar risers, and then order custom cables with banjo fittings for the brake and clutch cables that aim downward, so that the cables won't cross in front of the speedo and the trip computer. According to my dealer, custom cables cost ~ $80-100 apiece (which is the extra that A&S charged for each of the two cables in the K1200R kit). In addition, a throttle cable is needed to handle the extra 3" height. So the total for the kit will run you $225 plus the cost of the three cables.

I'm waiting for my dealer to send me pictures of my bike with the cables crossed in front of the dashboard, and I'll post them when I get them. Then I'll post info when we have the new cables made.

See less See more
#4 ·
leoist said:
I had the Verholen bar risers (purchased from A&S) installed on my K1200R. They raise the bars 80 mm (3.2 inches). They look great. Only problem is that the clutch cable and brake cable are also raised 3.2", and therefore cross directly in front of the dashboard, thereby blocking the view of a good part of the speedometer, and most of the on-board computer. I was shocked. This is absolutely unacceptable, and a safety issue to boot. I can't believe I paid $385 for the bar riser kit, 2+ hours labor, and the product is basically defective. I might as well not have a speedo or trip computer.
You've got to be kidding me. I've got the same risers on my -R, and while they do cross in front of the dash, the cables aren't large/wide enough obscure anything. If it bothers you that much, find something to ziptie them to.

Given the fact that this product turns the -R from a 300 mile a day ride into an ironbutt capable street machine, your criticisms are totally unwarranted.

#5 ·
Verholen Bar Risers

I too have the bar risers from Verholen on my R. I bought it used with the kit installed by A&S Cycles. The new cables do cross in front of the instruments because the technician wasn't careful enough to do clean work. The cables are longer replacements and there isn't an easy zip tie solution. After 1500 miles with them I will return to the stock setup as they are too high for aggressive riding although somewhat more comfortable for lower speed riding.Something around 40 millimeters (IMO) would be a better compromise.

#11 ·
OMFG..........I think I'll stick to taking a break every couple a' hundred miles then go that route......but, that's just me. 2t2f

#12 · (Edited)
Santa Cruz BMW sells the Wunderlich/sportego set up. THAT IS the cats ass! In fact, you can see a guick shot of it in the video where the K12R races a BMW coupe on the "ring".

You can also d/l the pdf file and drool for xmas time ! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vahJgYqGdSw

#13 ·
Has any one considered using the handlebar frame from a late model K1200RS as it has the ability to adjust the bars back, and there seems to only be a one nut attachment and two security screws.

I suppose you could use a similar one from the K1200GT if they are adjustable.

Any one knows if the holder would fit

#14 ·
Helibars on a K1200R /Sport

I don't have any pictures of Helibars installed on a K1200R but here is a link that shows them installed on a K1200S. Helibars do not require changing the cables and it will not obstruct the view on console. It appears that the mirrors would also be pushed out to provide a better rear view on the K1200R. Here is a link with a picture on the K1200S.
http://www.helibars.com/proddetail.php?prod=TS05003

#17 ·
Yes and No?

Spiro_K_1200R said:
Apart from the issue of the longer cables,will the K1200S risers will fit my K1200R ??
If you're asking if the higher control arm/bridge from a K1200R be switched out with the lower one from a K1200S -- the answer is "yes". There have been previous threads about this on this forum, but here's the bottom line: You can't just switch them alone because the fuel tank covers are different shapes, and the S's lower-positioned bars will hit the R's tank at full turns. To remedy this, I installed a set of modified aluminum TracStar Heli-Bars, with the S's control arm, for that somewhat more aggressive bar position on my R. The cable lengths were not an issue.

But your question seems the opposite of what this thread was about, so perhaps I misinterpreted your question. If I did -- sorry... and I now return you to your "higher bars" conversation.

Attachments

#19 ·
I just had the MV handlebar risers intalled on my k1300R. The cables aren't worse than before, HOWEVER, I want to ask all the people that have changed their handlebars to taller ones, did you notice a difference in bike stability?

It seems to me like I've lost too much weight off the front end, almost like I need to add 10-20 killos directly under the steering to compensate for the weight I've taken off for not leaning forward...does that make sense?

It makes me wonder if the dealer did anything to the spring during the install because the difference should not be that noticeable,

Lou

#21 ·
I had the helibars installed and they were still too short. So, I had Verholen bars installed and they are a lot better. Expensive is an understatement, but I think it was worth it. Paid $650 for the bars and longer cables(including shipping), and $250 for install.
That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.