Verholen Bar Risers for K1200R - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 1:32 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Verholen Bar Risers for K1200R

I had the Verholen bar risers (purchased from A&S) installed on my K1200R. They raise the bars 80 mm (3.2 inches). They look great. Only problem is that the clutch cable and brake cable are also raised 3.2", and therefore cross directly in front of the dashboard, thereby blocking the view of a good part of the speedometer, and most of the on-board computer. I was shocked. This is absolutely unacceptable, and a safety issue to boot. I can't believe I paid $385 for the bar riser kit, 2+ hours labor, and the product is basically defective. I might as well not have a speedo or trip computer.

When I went to Verholen's website for the K1200R bar risers, it turns out that the picture they have is of a K1200S with the risers, not a K1200R. (The cables and installation are very different).

I actually took my bike into A&S cycles and had them look at it, including their service manager. They agreed there was a problem, offered to work on the bike but charge me regular service rates. To me that wasn't reasonable, given that, IMO, they sold me a defective part.

Here's the solution I came up with with my dealer: If you want the Verholen bar risers for the K1200R, I would order the kit for the K1200S which comes without the cables. The kit for the K1200S costs only $225 (even better, I'd order it from the Pirate, he's got better customer svc), and comes with no cables, vs. the kit for the K1200R which costs $385 because it comes with a brake and throttle cable.

I would then take the bike to a dealer, have them install the bar risers, and then order custom cables with banjo fittings for the brake and clutch cables that aim downward, so that the cables won't cross in front of the speedo and the trip computer. According to my dealer, custom cables cost ~ $80-100 apiece (which is the extra that A&S charged for each of the two cables in the K1200R kit). In addition, a throttle cable is needed to handle the extra 3" height. So the total for the kit will run you $225 plus the cost of the three cables.

I'm waiting for my dealer to send me pictures of my bike with the cables crossed in front of the dashboard, and I'll post them when I get them. Then I'll post info when we have the new cables made.

Leo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 4:04 am

Pirates make a specific point of not stocking the KR risers and also point out that the KS risers will not fit the KR risers!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 8:43 am

I have the same issue, but I live with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoist
I had the Verholen bar risers (purchased from A&S) installed on my K1200R. They raise the bars 80 mm (3.2 inches). They look great. Only problem is that the clutch cable and brake cable are also raised 3.2", and therefore cross directly in front of the dashboard, thereby blocking the view of a good part of the speedometer, and most of the on-board computer. I was shocked. This is absolutely unacceptable, and a safety issue to boot. I can't believe I paid $385 for the bar riser kit, 2+ hours labor, and the product is basically defective. I might as well not have a speedo or trip computer.
You've got to be kidding me. I've got the same risers on my -R, and while they do cross in front of the dash, the cables aren't large/wide enough obscure anything. If it bothers you that much, find something to ziptie them to.

Given the fact that this product turns the -R from a 300 mile a day ride into an ironbutt capable street machine, your criticisms are totally unwarranted.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 12:20 am

Verholen Bar Risers

I too have the bar risers from Verholen on my R. I bought it used with the kit installed by A&S Cycles. The new cables do cross in front of the instruments because the technician wasn't careful enough to do clean work. The cables are longer replacements and there isn't an easy zip tie solution. After 1500 miles with them I will return to the stock setup as they are too high for aggressive riding although somewhat more comfortable for lower speed riding.Something around 40 millimeters (IMO) would be a better compromise.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 4:52 am

Of course if you get the "power Sportego" set-up from Wunderlich, the lines are intergrated into the risers!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 3:41 pm

Anybody got pics?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2006, 10:38 am

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2006, 5:14 pm

Boy those are WAY too high . I went with helibar brand bar risers because they look as it they came on the bike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mount.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	3666  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2006, 4:46 pm

The pics are very helpful. Thanks! Anyone have pics of the Helibar brand installed on a K1200R?
-b

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode