BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Stock wheels vs. Sport

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  BOR15 
#1 ·
I'm ordering my KR soon and haven't had a chance to test ride KR with stock wheels/tires and sport wheels/190 tires to compare them. Has anyone riden both set ups? Is there a big difference in handling with the 180 rear tire and the 190?

lcgio

#2 ·
lcgio said:
I'm ordering my KR soon and haven't had a chance to test ride KR with stock wheels/tires and sport wheels/190 tires to compare them. Has anyone riden both set ups? Is there a big difference in handling with the 180 rear tire and the 190?

lcgio
I haven't ridden the 180 setup, but I did ride the 190 setup. I think the visual difference is worth the extra dough. The sport wheels with the wider tire just look better to me. As for differences in handling....I think it would be very hard to tell the difference on a bike with the weight and wheelbase of the K1200R.

I will admit that I did notice a slight difference in handling in my KRS, when I went from the 170 to 180 rear rim/tire. The bike was a little harder to turn with the wider rear setup, but it felt more planted/stable when leaned over. FYI: I had the same exact Pilot Roads in both setups.

#4 ·
I got the sports wheels. Look much better and now that the rear is polished ....

Don't think you will tell the diff between 180 and 190 wouth the R

Boris

#7 ·
Bling

Sport wheel with a bit of bling

Boris

Attachments

#8 ·
I'm thrilled that the only chrome on my R is the bezel around the logo. I got so tired of constantly having to wipe that stuff down after every ride, especially on the wheels, that I'm never going back to a bike that has chrome. I was [<--this-->] close to buying an R12GS so I'd never have to wash a bike again.

It looks nice, but I'm happy just to check out other people's shiny works of art.

#10 ·
i took the paint off the spokes with stripper and a brass brush so i didnt scratch the rim. Under the paint it is slightly rough cast. I then took it to a polishing place and he very lightly linished the surface by hand. Machine polished the outer and hand machine polish the inner spokes.

When it was all done he used a liquid polish called purple to finish it.

The front will only get the outer rim done when i get around to it. The front is busy so i dont want it to look stupid.

Boris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.