BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Beware Verholen handlebar risers for K1200R & K1200S

78K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  sesand 
#1 ·
This past September, I purchased the Verholen bar risers for the K1200R (bought them from A&S). Had them installed on my bike (per the instructions) by the dealer I bought the bike from -- costs about 3 hours in labor. To my horror, after installation, it turns out that raising the bars also raises the clutch and brake cables so that they cross right in front of the instrument panel in a manner that blocks the view of the speedometer -- extremely bothersome and a significant safety problem, IMO. (You have to ride the bike to appreciate what a problem it is.) See the first three pictures, which were taken by an A&S service technician sitting on the seat of my bike in riding position (ie. the pics show what a rider would see).

Just to show that it's not just my bike, also attached (photo #4) is a photo of a yellow K1200R that I got from the K-bikes forum. This bike has the bar risers installed, with the identical cable problem to mine. It's my suspicion that K1200S bar risers may have the same problem also.

In fact, it's no surprise that the cables cross in front of the speedometer if the bar risers are installed with no modification to the cable route. This can be appreciated by looking at the last photo (photo #5), which shows a stock K1200R Sport that I found on the web (same bar and cable position as the K1200R).

This photo shows the cable position with the factory bars, with the cables crossing at the bottom of the instrument cluster, with no obstruction of the view of the speedometer. If you imagine raising the bars vertically by 2 1/2" in height, you can see that the cables would then also be raised by 2 1/2", which would put them squarely in front of the instrument cluster, just like the photos on my bike.

As I said, I discovered this to my horror, bec in order to have the bars removed, it would cost me about $300 in labor. (Not only that, but one of the major factors I considered in buying that bike was the fact that I'd be able to raise the bars -- I'm 6'1", and without the bar risers, I can't comfortably ride the bike, and wouldn't have bought it.)

So I drove the bike 90 miles to A&S to see what they'd do for me (and I also wanted to check out the dealership). Nada. They offered to help, at standard labor rates. So I took it back to my dealer, who spent $700 of my money figuring out a custom cable routing and ordering and installing custom cables. With the cables my dealer installed, I now have a great, comfortable bike -- but the total cost of the bar risers came to $1100.

I also communicated with Verholen at length, including sending pics, etc. They denied there is a problem, and refused any help or compensation for my added expense (even after I offered to send them pictures and specifications of how my dealer perfectly rerouted the cables, so that they could fix the problem with no engineering cost to them.) Basically, their customer service was total crap. In America, a business like that would never survive.

Interestingly, on the day I brought my bike to A&S, they had a K1200R on their showroom floor with the bar risers installed, with a cable problem almost identical to mine. They, too, said they didn't think it was a problem. I recently emailed their general manager, and despite the pictures, he also said he didn't see a problem. I don't know about these folks, but I'm willing to bet that no manufacturer, especially BMW, would ever let a bike out of their factory with cables like that. First crash and there'd be a major lawsuit.

So if you're thinking of modifying your K1200R or S with the Verholen bar risers, think again. And I wouldn't count on Verholen for help with any problems with parts they sell. Maybe in Germany customer service is not the paradigm that it is here.

Leo

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would imagine any bar risers would have the same problem. BMW designed the cables for that specific location. Raising that location in any way, and with any system will have them crossing in front of the gauges. Seems like the nature of the beast unless custom cables and routing is used as you found out.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Hi Leoist,

I'm sorry for you having spent such an obscene amount of money on this, however, I really can't find much sympathy when reading your post. Now I want to make you utterly sure that this isn't a go at you or trying to be on Verholen's side etc. It's just my observation and I feel that my opinion might help someone out there who might actually want to install non-BMW parts onto their bike.

My first point of observation is your comment about lawsuits - every time I hear such, I get very saddened. I've been raised in a country where it's not allowed to prosper from law-suits. I think the rest of the world could benefit from this. Anyway, beside this...

I don't think that you're honouring the fact that your parts that you have installed are non-BMW. A modern motorbike is engineered as a package, and as such, if you change one component, you might alter several other ones and also make something else not fit. For example, my concerns about raising the rear of the bike to alter the front's geometry. Handlebars are a notorious thing to get right, not only cables and wires, but also the fact that you need to be able to steer lock-to-lock (I hope you've tried that!).
Another fact is that with after market parts you void your warranty and in many cases there's a little note with the parts saying that the manufacturer of the after market parts takes no responsibility to what's happening to your bike, for this exact reason: The equation is much too complicated for the after market manufacturer to guarantee that there's no knock-on effects somewhere else. For example, there's no way that Verholen could afford to wind-tunnel test the bike to see if the altered aerodynamics will affect the bike negatively (And if they did, I'm sure you wouldn't want to pay the price for that).
There's also a reason why the BMW HP Rearsets costs about 2x the price of a set of after market ones. BMW has put in much more research into it, and they guarantee their functionality (I hope!). Naturally they have to cover these occurred and potential costs. BMW says Kerr-ching!
The bottom line here is that I think that there's a difference between original BMW parts and after market parts, and when you put on after market parts, you take a chance of things not working to the maximum 100%.

The third thing I ponder about a bit is is the problem really that big? Surely you move your head around enough to get the most important information without a problem. And of all the instruments there, the speed is the one the Police wants you to see; Install a cycle digital speedometer and you should see that all the time. ($20-$30??) Another way could have been that you simply zip-tie the cables somewhere to put them slightly in a different position.

The final thing that's really subjective and I know people have different circumstances etc., is why you didn't install the risers yourself; You would have saved a huge amount of money and you would have learnt your bike better and to take responsibility over your modifications.

Finally I'm very amazed at that Verholen didn't even accept your pictures - that's just plain stupid! They might have fixed it, like you say, without any cost to them. And I have to agree with you that customer service in Europe has got a lot to learn from America.

Again, sorry for you having to spend so much money sorting this out. I hope you now can enjoy the bike and put this all behind you.

Also, this isn't a post meant to increase your aggravation, I'm sure you have that enough, but I hope that these points might change someone's view of after market parts and hopefully save them from getting into a situation like you did.

#6 ·
"If you imagine raising the bars vertically by 2 1/2" in height, you can see that the cables would then also be raised by 2 1/2", which would put them squarely in front of the instrument cluster, just like the photos on my bike."

Seems like you should have imagined this before modifying your ride. I am not sure why you would expect someone else to be responsible for alterations you decide to make. And what did you expect Verholen to do? The bars they sold you fit, didn't they? I don't think it is about customer service. IMHO, I think it is about a customer looking for someone to bail him out of what is an expensive modification.

#7 ·
Today I had this setup installed on my K12R sport.

I think the looks are fantastic and being able to move the bars foward and/or back about 1.5 to 2 inches makes all the difference to me and how i ride.

So far I'm very happy with this mod and the guys in bmw santa cruz did a great job.

this mod is quite expensive though.

steve

abelard said:

#8 ·
Just put the Wunderlich Power Sportego on my K12R

i have had these bars on for about 500 miles and i really do like them.

very expensive upgrade though, but probably worth it.

the extended cables do obscure the instruments but i will try to re-route or tie out of the way.

also added the clutch and brake levers as well as the mirrors. did not like the stock mirrors at all. these are much better.

steve

Attachments

#11 ·
Beware Verholen bar risers...

Hi Leoist,
I had exactly the same deal when I ordered Wunderlich bar risers.
That part was the least of the adventure! My shop put the risers on my '06 K1200GT just fine and dandy....BUT!!!
The mechanic called me in to look over the install and to explain that in order to use the risers to their fullest potential; we would be in need of longer cables.
Wunderlich's ads said nothing to this affect. So, I emailed them. They were willing to hook me up with a company that "does all our custom cable work." I asked if they would absorb any of the cable cost since their ad said nothing of needing such cables. NO!!!
The mechanic went on to explain the complexity of diassembling, routing, reassembling, resettting any computer issues, butttoning the bike back up and road testing to assure safety, correct and safe operation.
All told; came to a bit more than you paid because this is CANDA.
aS MY MECHANIC SAID, "Beware of these guys. They'll promise the sun; but do very little to get it to you in reasonable way"
I did not go through with longer cables! For that price; I could buy 2 weeks of road trip time!

Cheers,
NuKGT
"06 K1200GT CGM
One Fast Colour!!!

#12 ·
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1975

TheJoker said:
"Another fact is that with after market parts you void your warranty and in many cases there's a little note with the parts saying that the manufacturer of the after market parts takes no responsibility to what's happening to your bike, for this exact reason"

A common fallacy is that putting aftermarket parts on your vehicle voids the warranty. This is simply NOT true. According to the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1975, if the part that was installed causes something else to fail, then the part that failed, would not be covered. But, to say in a blanket statement that installing an aftermarket part, voids the bikes warranty is untrue.

#14 ·
Honestly.. I have little sympathy, too... If you go to the Verholen website doesn't it show the cables routed over the triple clamp?.. if you had done a little pre-purchase research you'd have known this. Blaming the Germans isn't gonna help anything.. I'm just sayin'..

#15 ·
1.) Jerry's right
2.) Those bars prove the old adage "there's an ass for every seat" right. They're obscenely expensive, look hideous, obviously are not without problems, and "amazingly" still have those willing to not only spend the insane money to buy them....but also are willing to pay somebody else to install them?

PS: Anybody wanna buy a bridge? Hey,....it's "carbon fiber" too!.......dee da dee.....:drool

#16 ·
CrownVic55 said:
I have noticed in this installation the throttle cable was routed outside the upper fairing stay frame and inside the plastic. Stock location is inside the fairing stay. Was this done to allow full motion of the throttle cable? I have trouble with my bike revving at full right turn of the handlebars with stock location, and am wondering if this change will solve the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.