BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

best top case

4K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  -CRASH- 
#1 ·
hi all, I'm about to take possession of a 02 KRS and I'm wondering who makes the best top case (is there something other than givi???), what size looks and works best? and where is the best place to buy such a beast?

I'd love to see pics if anyone is so inclined!!

tks

#2 ·
cjlizzard said:
hi all, I'm about to take possession of a 02 KRS and I'm wondering who makes the best top case (is there something other than givi???), what size looks and works best? and where is the best place to buy such a beast?

I'd love to see pics if anyone is so inclined!!

tks
It's been discussed, too. Try a search on "top case" and you'll see varying sizes, including Givi. There's also a BMW hard case for 2004 bikes. You need the adaptor plate as well for that case (and not the one for the soft tailbag). While I realize yours is an '02, the rear rack is the same, so the mounting plate will work.

There's also a special rack made in France that allows you to put an RT top case on the back...search may provide that one as well.

#3 ·
Is there some particulare reason you want something other than Givi? I did some searching when I bought a case for my GT and I couldn't find anything I thought could match the Givi V46 in style, capacity and ease of use. There are others out there, of course, but be sure to look at the Givi line.

#5 ·
The GIVI 52 is nice for longer trips because it's plenty big, but it buffets the bike around because it catches so much wind when we're not riding two up. When she's on the back I don't notice any buffeting.

#8 ·
I bought a Givi case and their mounting kit. However, I've been very dissapointed with the paint quality after a year as the side rails were going rusty due to a cheap paint job.

If I bought Givi fittings again, I'd have the side rails stripped and a decent powder coat put on them. It's also worth swapping out their aluminised bolts for stainless steel. I like their backrest on the top case. Discreet and reassuring for the pillion.

#11 ·
Here's Mine

Notice the re-positioning of the case to over the rear axle, I ride one up allot. I fabricated the mount for the rack to attach to the rear of the seat where the striker is. I never liked the Givi mount sticking the case way out over the rear fender. Fully loaded it's still lighter than any little chickee you'll get on the back :teeth and it handles great! :clap:

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
bluestreak said:
The GIVI 52 is nice for longer trips because it's plenty big, but it buffets the bike around because it catches so much wind when we're not riding two up. When she's on the back I don't notice any buffeting.
You can fix a lot of that by tying the rack to the grab rail on the back. There is a threaded hole there and I used 2 pieces of flat bar to make a V Bracket. What causes the buffeting is that the rack it self moves around and when the wind hits your case it starts to oscillate. I get zero buffeting after bracing mine.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.