BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Tank slapper

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  howfly 
#1 ·
A friend of mine last week had a tank slapper on his cruiser and busted his ass. Luckly he had his gear on and come out ok. Bike was trashed.

Is a tank slapper possible on the KGT ? I see a lot of sporties with steering dampers and wondered if the KGT might need one? Excuse the dumb question but I am not a tech person.

David
07 KGT

#3 ·
My GT has a steering damper unless that horizontal transverse cylinder with the rod coming out of it is for something else.

I have had mine shake its head a few times under hard acceleration but it never gets out of hand. I rode a Honda ST1300 the other day and if you give the bars a shake on that it shakes badly and wants to get worse, even at 50 mph. I tried the same thing on the GT and it was rock solid. The Honda felt like it was bending in the middle as well.

#4 ·
My GT has a pretty stiff damper on it. The only bike I've owned that didn't have a damper was my R11RS. It used the fairing to push down on the front end.

Back in the 60s most bikes had friction dampers, which in my case were off, because I didn't know any better. No tank slappers, tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.