BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Billet gas cap

3K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  blaine 
#1 ·
I've had Pirate's billet gas cap for a spell now and wonder why I waited so long to do it. No more fumbling with the key out of the ignition, unlocking the gas cap, putting it back in the ignition and making sure the thang is slammed shut (y'all have found it open before, right?)

A quick twist, fill 'er up (btw, with the neck drill it even holds more gas, not a lot, but more as the cap is flat) a quick twist and vamanos.

It's real purdy, but I only see it when I fill up, so it could be real ugly. The thing that counts is that it works efficiently.

#3 ·
Yup, looks purdy. But for $136 it's just another spendy BMW farkle that I can live without I think. Doesn't take much to remove the key and open. And nope, never found mine open.

Geez grif, by the time you're done your going to have more invested in accessories than your bike itself! ;)

#5 ·
Robert_W said:
Yup, looks purdy. But for $136 it's just another spendy BMW farkle that I can live without I think. Doesn't take much to remove the key and open. And nope, never found mine open.
I hate unlocking gas caps and it solved that problem.

Robert_W said:
Geez grif, by the time you're done your going to have more invested in accessories than your bike itself! ;)
I sold the LT with 108,000 on it. It was advertised as: Buy the farkles, the bike is free.

A boy and his toys. I don't hunt, fish, gamble, drink, do drugs, bowl, or regularly frequent titty bars, so that leaves me a leetle extra scratch to play with my bike.

#6 ·
To each his own. I am happy for Grf that he found exactly what he was looking for. Grif is well-known to us and has been a great supporter and contributer to these forums.

Grif and I disagree on the gas caps, however. I have no interest whatsoever in one of those gas caps. I LIKE the locking gas cap that comes with the bike. They work perfectly for me. They reduce temptation for the lookiloos to open it (and maybe put something in).

After a year of GT ownership with 42 fill-ups, and 21 years on the previous bike, I never once failed to latch down the locking gas cap. I have never found it open, either.

What I lust after are those hub covers.

http://piratesk12site.net/Shubcap.htm

The look SO COOL. I haven't bought them (yet) because I don't know the following:

* I worry that as temperatures change, they will expand and contract, putting undue pressure on the hubs and bearings.
* I worry that their claim of keeping the hubs cooler is untested and may not be true.
* I worry that they might fall off or be stolen.

Oh well. Each person lusts after their own set of farkles.

#8 ·
grifscoots said:
...... or regularly frequent titty bars, ....
Hmmmmm........regularly frequent.........

Does that mean that you go several months at a time without going and then spend 10 days in a row at one? :D :D

#9 ·
Shoot damn that gas cap sure looks good!

grifscoots If you notice how the gas cap is pointing said:
Your a regular Frank Gilbreth of the gas cap world.

#10 ·
Robert_W said:
Hmmmmm........regularly frequent.........

Does that mean that you go several months at a time without going and then spend 10 days in a row at one? :D :D
I love titty bars! But, they are very inconvenient to get to from where I live. I've been exactly twice in the last 10 years. I find it very sad that it's the only place that a 51 year old man can get nuzzled on by a young, perky thang.

#12 ·
I gots to know?

Greg,
I use a Bags Connection tankbag with the SW-MOTEC quick lock gascap mounting system.
The mount fits flush with the gascap opening (86 mm). Do you know if the billet gas cap will clear the horse shoe mount? Or do I need to ask the Pirate?
My wife has a birthday comming up pretty soon, thought she might like a nice farkle for my GT!

Attachments

#13 ·
Grif, First question--can't tell by pics of the cap--does it attach to the main body of the assembly??, or does it just twist off and drop on the pavement? Second-have the same type of clips for my tank bag- ones fwd of the gas cap-nice idea that-covering the straps--what did u use?

#14 · (Edited)
ncooper said:
Greg,
I use a Bags Connection tankbag with the SW-MOTEC quick lock gascap mounting system.
The mount fits flush with the gascap opening (86 mm). Do you know if the billet gas cap will clear the horse shoe mount? Or do I need to ask the Pirate?
My wife has a birthday comming up pretty soon, thought she might like a nice farkle for my GT!
I just went out to the gearage and pulled the old unit out, set the new gas cap on and the new gas cap is about 1/8" smaller all the way around than the old unit.

You are just too good to your wife!!!!

New cap sitting on old assembly

#15 ·
pmorritt said:
Grif, First question--can't tell by pics of the cap--does it attach to the main body of the assembly??, or does it just twist off and drop on the pavement?
I's free floating. My favorite thang to do on a long ride when I stop for gas is to twist it off and fling it. Not only does it give you exercise and prevents deep vein thrombosis, but it's very hilarious for the bystanders watching you wander around looking for it.

pmorritt said:
Second-have the same type of clips for my tank bag- ones fwd of the gas cap-nice idea that-covering the straps--what did u use?
They are called paint protectors. Chicane sold them with their bags. Unfortunately, Lou has disappeared in China and the company is no mas. It's a very simple tube of soft material and they may not be proprietory to Chicane.

#16 ·
grifscoots said:
I just went out to the gearage and pulled the old unit out, set the new gas cap on and the new gas cap is about 1/8" smaller all the way around than the old unit.

You are just too good to your wife!!!!
Thanks for the pictures.

I have learned to sleep with my eyes open!

#20 ·
grifscoots said:
Somehow it doesn't work when Pirate is your higher power.
No vendor is above a man and his cash. :leer

Edit: It just dawned on me. Maybe this project would be worthwhile if I were to replace the neck or just drill it out like the ones on the F800. :scratchinghead

#21 ·
philspace said:
No vendor is above a man and his cash. :leer

Edit: It just dawned on me. Maybe this project would be worthwhile if I were to replace the neck or just drill it out like the ones on the F800. :scratchinghead
I have drilled mine. It almost holds 7 gallons.

#22 ·
grifscoots said:
I have drilled mine. It almost holds 7 gallons.
I'm on it. Do you ever have a problem with heat and too much gas? I did that on our RT's and one time I opened up the cap on my wife's bike when the tank was full at it was hot and the gas literally blew out of the tank. Thought I was going to be the first BMW riding Buddhist Monk.:D

#24 ·
philspace said:
I'm on it. Do you ever have a problem with heat and too much gas? I did that on our RT's and one time I opened up the cap on my wife's bike when the tank was full at it was hot and the gas literally blew out of the tank. Thought I was going to be the first BMW riding Buddhist Monk.:D
I ride at least 40 miles before shutting down after a fillup.

#25 ·
GMack said:
Didn't some older BMW owners try the drill trick and the fuel heat expansion overflow plugged up the charcoal canister which led to a vacuum in the tank and the bike lost fuel due to the inability for the pump to overcome the vacuum? :confused:

Mack
Yes, so very true. My charcoal canister has been gone a long time. We also learned a long time ago to pull them on the LT's as the tank will literally implode.

#26 ·
GMack said:
Didn't some older BMW owners try the drill trick and the fuel heat expansion overflow plugged up the charcoal canister which led to a vacuum in the tank and the bike lost fuel due to the inability for the pump to overcome the vacuum? :confused:

Mack
Yup, that's it. I was hesitant to do it to the GT and start plugging hoses and crap after all the BS with the idle control. Too many SB's and warranty issues to risk it, but now I've been baited. That Mr. Grifscoots is a master baiter. :leer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.