BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

A different question about controls/reservoirs...

984 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Smilodon 
#1 ·
Ok, I feel like a total idiot, but here goes...

As stated earlier, I have a brake warning light on my dash. It's probably the brake pad wire, but someone said I should check my brake fluid. It looked good in the sight-glass, but I thought I should open the top and have a look.

Here's the problem. I have a 2008 GT with the old-style reservoirs. I've worked on the brakes of plenty of bikes in the past, and you just adjust the handlebars until the reservoir is level, pop the top, and you are good to go (with maybe a few drips from the lid).

Well, on my GT, on the center-stand, I couldn't seem to find a level spot. It ended up being a little messy. I had plenty of protection, so no damage done (I think), but I was wondering if I was missing something.

Is there a trick to removing the lid to add fluid (I didn't need any of course, but I checked) without making a mess? :dunno:

#3 ·
Smilodon said:
Is there a trick to removing the lid to add fluid (I didn't need any of course, but I checked) without making a mess? :dunno:
I haven't done this on the GT, but on my LT the service manual said to loosen the entire handlebar control and rotate it until it was level. Instead, I just parked the bike with the rear tire on the street, the front going up the little driveway ramp, and the side stand down in the gutter. That was enough to level out the reservoir cover so I could remove it and top off the fluid. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.