BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

side stand too short?

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  mjkuhno 
#1 ·
Is it just me, or is the side stand just a tad too short - i.e. the bike seems to lean over more than any other I've owned.

It can be quite a pull to get it upright on level ground let alone a small downslope. Even more so when when loaded for a week's ride. :D Now, I gotta say I'm not a huge fellow - 5'9" and 170 ... but I've never had this problem before with any other bike.

Use the center stand you say ? ... well, as has been discussed before - its not an easy do either ... more so for me since I don't like taking the bike off the center stand when standing along side and then getting on. Besides, never had to do that before either.

Anyone else with this side stand problem and/or any fix??

#3 ·
Side stand too short?

Not that this will help much, but here is a bit of background for you. One of the major knocks on the 98-03 K12RS is that the side stand was too long. The bike would fall over if not parked just right, in fact many were damaged by rolling forward off the stand.

I believe BMW reacted to these complaints and made sure the new GT did not have that problem. I for one am pleased with the change, although I still make darn sure that if not on level ground, I park uphill. Otherwise of course, I back in.

A couple of things you might try (or perhaps already have) would be to lift the bike off the stand using more of your leg strength. Or try the seat in the lower position to give you more leverage.

And make sure if you haven't already, get yourself a pad for the kickstand for soft dirt or hot asphalt.

9baller

#4 ·
9baller said:
A couple of things you might try (or perhaps already have) would be to lift the bike off the stand using more of your leg strength. Or try the seat in the lower position to give you more leverage.

And make sure if you haven't already, get yourself a pad for the kickstand for soft dirt or hot asphalt.

9baller
Good suggestions, but BTDT ... I guess its time for a custom "fat foot" that not only is wider, but also thicker.

#5 ·
I wasn't having much trouble picking it up off the stand, but I was worried about all the weight on such a small foot. It sinks in hot asphalt like butter.

I did this:

It's about 75% bigger now, which seems to be enough. It doesn't help with the height, but I don't have to hunt down a soda can every time I park.

Don't know why BMW made the foot so small. There's plenty of room to go much larger than I did, and still not interfere with anything while its retracted.

#6 ·
Show me a motorcycle forum, and I'll show you a group where 33% think the sidestand is too short, 33% that thinks the sidestand is too long, and 33% that thinks it's just right.

Too short is a much easier problem to deal with than too long. Take it to a local welder and let the guy have some fun. Problem solved.

#7 ·
ChrisOlson said:
Anyone else with this side stand problem and/or any fix??
+1

But I got used to it. Once almost dropped the bike due to hot asphalt - it was real butter-knife situation - so had to carry a piece of plastic with me to put it under the stand.

#8 ·
ChrisOlson said:
Use the center stand you say ? ... well, as has been discussed before - its not an easy do either ... more so for me since I don't like taking the bike off the center stand when standing along side and then getting on. Besides, never had to do that before either.
Chris,

I'd recommend getting seated on the bike and then <hump> it forward (sorry to the potentially easily offended) to pop it off the centerstand.

It takes a little bit of force, and wont work if you park the nose in an uphill position, but is much better than pulling off center standing next to the bike.

Trust me, it can be done. I did it for years on a K1200LT and I'm about the same size as you - well, 5'7 or 8" on a good day. Just remember, don't park the nose on an uphill position if you're going to use the centerstand.

I'd hate to see a future post where you tell us how you dropped that baby standing next to it after center stand dismount :(

#9 ·
Re the foot for the side stand, is any one making these now to suit the new GT?
I agree totally, it's bloody stupid engineering / design to make the foot on a large capacity touring orientated machine so small. I live in the bush, and have to always look at the bike or open my rolladoor really fast incase of my bike falling over due to sinking in the grass / dirt. Hot ashphelt is a daily occurence here in the tropics.
Best wishes all.

Ken.

#13 ·
mjkuhno said:
Chris,

I'd recommend getting seated on the bike and then <hump> it forward (sorry to the potentially easily offended) to pop it off the centerstand.

I'd hate to see a future post where you tell us how you dropped that baby standing next to it after center stand dismount :(
No problem there...I do use that method. I only mentioned the other way to acknowledge its as a possibility, but I won't - based on exactly what you mention.

But its a real pain the the ass to get off the center stand by sitting on it that way compared to my old RT or LT and there have been occasions in my garage when it just scooted across the concrete no matter how intimate you got with it :D ...Yes I learned to put it up on a small pad of wood, but shouldn't have to do that.

So I've been only using the side stand - which despite my complaints - is easier than the center stand.

#15 ·
ChrisOlson said:
No problem there...I do use that method. I only mentioned the other way to acknowledge its as a possibility, but I won't - based on exactly what you mention.

But its a real pain the the ass to get off the center stand by sitting on it that way compared to my old RT or LT and there have been occasions in my garage when it just scooted across the concrete no matter how intimate you got with it :D ...Yes I learned to put it up on a small pad of wood, but shouldn't have to do that.

So I've been only using the side stand - which despite my complaints - is easier than the center stand.
Painted garage floor I take it?

I didn't think about that challenge.....

Yup - more difficult than the LT (although I've only popped the dealers off the center stand a few times - still waiting on mine) although I was thinking it was just a familiarity thing.

Hey, it's a GT - you just gotta show it a little more love!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.