K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion (https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/)
-   Intercom (https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/55-intercom/)
-   -   Which type of headset/speakers do you use with Autocom? (https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/55-intercom/7937-type-headset-speakers-do-you-use-autocom.html)

davidk63 Dec 20th, 2006 10:30 am

Which type of headset/speakers do you use with Autocom?

Santa Claus is going to get me an Autocom Active-Plus for Christmas (I guess I was nice this year). My questions revolves around the type of speakers to use. I always wear earplugs when I ride so I'm not sure if the Autocom headset will work with them. I have also considered using in-ear speakers such as the Etymotic ER6 as I've read several of you like them. What is your experience? My wife will also be riding with me sometimes so the micrphone will be used. Does that have any affect connections wise on the speakers if I use something other than the supplied Autocom ones?

eljeffe Dec 20th, 2006 11:12 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidk63
Santa Claus is going to get me an Autocom Active-Plus for Christmas (I guess I was nice this year). My questions revolves around the type of speakers to use. I always wear earplugs when I ride so I'm not sure if the Autocom headset will work with them. I have also considered using in-ear speakers such as the Etymotic ER6 as I've read several of you like them. What is your experience? My wife will also be riding with me sometimes so the micrphone will be used. Does that have any affect connections wise on the speakers if I use something other than the supplied Autocom ones?

Molded earplugs using the Autocom Part Number 1187 - In-Ear Speaker Extension Lead. You can use the Etymotics if you want, but molded earplug speakers are the best.

GMack Dec 20th, 2006 11:41 am

I've been through a lot of earphone setups over the years and I prefer audiophile quality.

That said, all helmet speakers suck. Period. Too much wind noise drowns out any quality they may have.

You're on the right track with the Etymotics. They offer outstanding sound, especially the highs. Shure in-ear's seem to favor the bass end, but that gets to sound rather poor on the bike with the low frequency wind noise.

I've been through both the ER-6 and the more bassy ER-6i. The main difference is the silicon flange between the two: the ER-6 has two flanges and the ER-6i has three. The seal of the ER-6i makes the bass stand out a bit more as the seal is better. However, when I wore the ER-6i under the helmet the sound canal often got pinched close and it was a struggle to get my finger between the helmet and me to work the thing into position where I could hear anything. It was less of a problem with the plain ER, but sometimes they too got twisted.

To the rescue came Sensaphonic's. They offer a sleeve to fit the Etymotic's that helps seal and direct the sound to your eardrum without getting pinched off under a helmet. Here is the link to their Etymotic ER series sleeve. The cost was around $100 plus $25 for the local hearing aid guy to make the impressions.

Down the road I was intriqued by the molded in-ear jobs that you see at the bike shows. I had a set made by the National Alliance for Hearing Preservation at one show. They sent them off to Westone (the hearing aid company) and the set I got back from them were outstanding! Fit was very good and the seal was good as well (very important!). They are a clear hard vinyl and very easy to clean. They fit so well I can wear them all day without discomfort. They sort of corkscrew in. Keeps the wind noise down to a minimum as well. The cords exit straight down and the helmet goes on without a fuss with the phones. Cost was around $350 at the show and I had to wait a couple of weeks for them to show up.

Later, I went back to Sensaphonic's for their ProPhonic 2X in-ear monitors. These have dual-drivers in them so the sound should be better. However, the are expensive at around $700 as I recall. The cords go up over the top of the ear on sort of a springy wire. I sent them back for a re-do as the fit wasn't as good and they had a leak around the ear and the sound quality goes down dramatically when they don't seal. The re-do wasn't any better so I gave up on them and they are buried in a drawer somewhere. They do sound good if I press them in to seal and that seems to be the trick with any custom fits.

So I'm back to the Westone's......

Regarding the AutoCom, they do make an in-line cord that has a stereo earphone mini-jack on it and you can use it with their microphone or speaker.

Good luck.

allikanbe1 Dec 20th, 2006 3:46 pm

Check www.plugup.com Autocom recommended them to me. Some of the plugs cost a bit much, but the quality is excellent. They also have a 30-day trial. Send them back if you don't like them. if you email plugup, someone will call you. i bought 2 pair.

steelheadherb Dec 20th, 2006 6:53 pm

Autocom and ear buds

Regarding the AutoCom, they do make an in-line cord that has a stereo earphone mini-jack on it and you can use it with their microphone or speaker.

You will need the Autocom in-line cord mentioned above to use ear buds with the Autocom. Additional charge of course, surprise, surprise. I haved used the Plug Up custom moulded speakers. A lot of problems with them. Probably four returns of speakers or their Autocom adapter boxes. Finally went to Etymotic research ER-4P's. Buydig.com had them for less than 1/2 of asking price at Riders Wearhouse and othe sources. Had some air noise leakage at high speed. Got the bright orange kids silicone ear wax at Walmart, rolled into thin strips and placed under the flanges of the three-flange ear tips and got a perfect seal and perfect performance. Stay in place and work great. More comfortable and easier to insert and remove than the custom moulded Plug-Ups. Sound quality is excellent.

DangerMoney Dec 20th, 2006 10:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidk63
I always wear earplugs when I ride so I'm not sure if the Autocom headset will work with them.

I always wear earplugs too. I use the Autocom speakers that came with the system. No issues. As you know, the ear plugs keep the wind noise below "problem" threshold. Just turn up the volume on your audio source so that you can listen comfortably. As mentioned above, forget about bass response on a bike, too much wind noise in the same frequency band. IMHO a venue containing 90-100db of background noise is not the place to chase high fidelity.

kennyg Dec 21st, 2006 12:48 am

I use Ear Inc custom molded monitors. I found them in the BMOA magazine. Pricey, $185 ($10 more for the glow in the dark). The only hassle was getting the mold right. I had to get refitted 4 times. I prefer the molds over speakers, re, at anything over 100mph I want to here my radar, and music sounds better. I did have to turn the volume down cuz with the molds the wind is the background. I only use the ear molds on trips/long rides. The down side of the Autocom is not enough people I ride with have one.
Contact them for a dealer in your area
Home Contact Us

E.A.R. Inc. / Insta-Mold West
P.O. Box 18888 Boulder, CO 80308 USA
Phone: (303) 447-2619
Toll-free: (800) 525-2690
Fax: (303) 447-2637
Email: [email protected]

davidk63 Dec 21st, 2006 7:14 am

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm looking forward to not having to sing to myself for entertainment on a ride!

jimshields Feb 1st, 2012 9:39 am

ANR Ear buds

I have tried a number of earplug types over the last couple of years and find problems with retaining an ambient noise seal over long times riding. I have a Zumo GPS and use the MP3 player on it for long boring motorway journeys, of which I have to do too many. Last month I decided to try ANRs. They are not cheap, but the difference is incredible. They come with a warning not to use on a motorcycle or bicycle, but I thought I would try them for myself to see what the effect was. They work by taking in the ambient noise, mostly caused from wind on the bike, and playing it back into the ear inverted, so that it cancels. They need a battery as they are active and the Denon set I got have a restore switch to expand some of the deleted frequencies of MP3 encoding. Despite what the warnings say, I have found that the main reduction in noise is wind noise, and paradoxically, I can hear other non constant background noises more clearly. Horns, cars coming the other direction, people when at lights etc. are all easily heard. On the motorway the wind noise is still there, as is the engine noise, but it is heavily attenuated. The result is that I can playback the music at a lower volume, hear most of it clearly and end up with less overall audio energy entering my ears. There is also less reliance on making a good seal between the ear canal and the earphone, which results in a more stable and slightly looser fit that is more comfortable. I was using Senneheiser phones prior to this, which were good when tight in the ear, but each time you looked over your shoulder they would loosen a bit and eventually the ambient noise leaked in.

If anyone else has tried these and has had a negative experience or knows of a reason why they shouldnt be used I would be interested to hear. I have onoly good things to say about them so far!