BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it's cooling off, I need to protect my hands better. My heated grips are struggling to keep up with 50-60 degree temperatures. My R1150GS has handguards that covers the levers which greatly help with the cooler air. Is there anything like this for the K12RS?

Thanks,
RLK

·
Registered
489 Posts
I found that the hand guards still don't keep my hands warm at high speeds on cold days. Above 60 mph it's hard to tell the heated grips are working, the only way I can tell they are working at high speeds is to turn them off.

My solution was to buy the Gerbings glove liners. Now I get heat on the top of my hands where I need it and my fingertips stay warm. I can turn the heat up as needed also.

Since the heated grips quit working every once in a while I figure the glove liners are less expensive to replace and they actually work better. Combined with the Gerbings jacket liner, I now stay much warmer overall. I also found some lightly lined waterproof gloves that I bought in a larger size to accomodate the glove liners so I'm not fighting all of that insulation under my hand trying to grip the hand grip. My hand doesn't cramp from holding the hand grip with all that insulation now.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
RLK
What you want is:46 63 7 663 201/202 these are european police handguards at $25+ apiece.
Bruce C

·
Registered
31 Posts
brucecha said:
RLK
What you want is:46 63 7 663 201/202 these are european police handguards at $25+ apiece.
Bruce C
I also use these and install them when the temperature drops. They take just a couple of minutes to install/remove.

·
Registered
186 Posts
brucecha said:
RLK
Bruce C
Do these handguards look anything like the ones in the BMW accessories catalog?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
They ARE the ones in the accessories CD. They are ABS plastic in flat black.
Bruce C

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I forgot to add that they are NOT listed in the US parts catalog. Your dealer has to use the Europe version parts catalog.
Bruce C

·
Registered
77 Posts
i ordered the ones out of the catalog and they look just like the gt ones. i have found the same thing on the highway after about 55 or 60mph its hard to tell the heated grips are on.

·
Registered
227 Posts
ssls6 said:
Awesome, thanks for the part numbers.
I just ordered these, here is my story. I have an '04 Zebra so I asked the dealer to find the GT Orient Blue hand guards, it took a while but he found them. For $220 each!!! What a shame, it would have been perfect for my Zebra. But I was not willing to pay ten times the price of the matte black. So I ordered them for $23 each.

Ron

·
Registered
186 Posts
rfespinosa said:
I just ordered these, here is my story. I have an '04 Zebra so I asked the dealer to find the GT Orient Blue hand guards, it took a while but he found them. For $220 each!!! What a shame, it would have been perfect for my Zebra. But I was not willing to pay ten times the price of the matte black. So I ordered them for $23 each.

Ron
Didn't know you could get those color matched. I thought it was only available for GT's. I tried to get the color matched system case covers for my '04 RS in Capri Blue, but they were only available in GT colors.

·
Registered
284 Posts
rfespinosa,
Your dealer either made a mistake or he's trying to rip you off. My dealer would order me the GT Orient Blue HGs but they would cost me $200 for the *pair*. I went with the black ones for $40/pair. I can get them painted to match the blue/white with silver pinstripe at a local shop. The BMW paint codes are easily accessible.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Lucky88 said:
Didn't know you could get those color matched. I thought it was only available for GT's. I tried to get the color matched system case covers for my '04 RS in Capri Blue, but they were only available in GT colors.
Lucky, I guess you are not lucky on this issue. If they had the Capri Blue on the GT you could have that option to buy the GT part. The Orient Blue on my '04 zebra is the same Orient Blue available on the GT.

Ron

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hand Guards

I purchased the "GT" type hand guards when they became an accessory about 2 years ago. I had them painted (BMW of St. Louis, who has a top rate paint shop) to match my Ice Blue 02 K12. (I have been asked many times if it was a GT.) But the hand guards do much more than provide hand protection, they create a larger pocket of protection for the rider. You don't realize how much protection until you remove them. I install them in winter, remove in summer. Remove them too soon in the spring and then ride on a cold day again and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
848 Posts
elect or...

Short of extendingthe fairing or geting a larger shield, you will need to go to Gerbings gloves.

I have a GT and find wind on my arms and hands and it has a more extended fairing than yours.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Another vote for the european police hand guards

I also ordered the matte black european police hand guards over a year ago, and since my RS is all black, they worked fine as is... They kinda match the system cases. It's true that they provide more protection than you would think, and you don't realize how much until you take them off. They can be painted easily enough, and I've seen some done that way. They look very nice. The only difference between those and the ones specifically made for the GT is that the police hand guards have a weird looking channel molded into the back near the top (and a corresponding hole in the front) so they can run a wire up and out the front to mount some sort of light or equipment. They fit onto the fairing with no modifications and with the existing fairing screws. I made some rubber washers out of a bike inner tube to put in between the handguards and the tupperware to protect the finish, which works well.

·
Registered
227 Posts
DangerMoney said:
rfespinosa,
Your dealer either made a mistake or he's trying to rip you off. My dealer would order me the GT Orient Blue HGs but they would cost me $200 for the *pair*. I went with the black ones for $40/pair. I can get them painted to match the blue/white with silver pinstripe at a local shop. The BMW paint codes are easily accessible.
I don't think he was trying to rip me off, it looked like he didn't know what he was doing.

Ron

1 - 20 of 26 Posts