BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting frustrated, any individual piston retracts easily enough, at the expense of a different piston. Did the rear brake easily enough, but the first front caliper acts like there's a back check valve or something, pushing one in pushes another/ others out. Opened top of reservoir, tried with bike running, I'm out of ideas, manual doesn't say anything special, any advice appreciated.

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,018 Posts
Do you still have the original rubber hoses? They are famous for the failure mode of the interior sloughing off and forming a check valve. Solution is to buy a set of Spiegler hoses.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but I think I remember reading somewhere that because of the linked/abs/power brakes, you can't bleed without a dealer tool or something?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm wondering if I can crack a bleeder without getting air in the lines?

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,018 Posts
There is a specific procedure to bleed these brakes. It can be accomplished at home. Someone will chime in with a link to it I hope.

Reactions: Trips

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the helpful responses, I can't believe a hose could collapse that effectively, but I left it with some pressure on it a few hours hoping it would bleed past some, but it didn't. Going to order new lines and speed bleeders, does anyone know if replacing bleeders on abs with speed bleeders will still necessitate making a special wrench? Already ordered funnel tool.
Simple brake pad job, smh.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Only install the speed bleeders on the calipers. Takes different sizes front/back. Get an extra to use for the clutch and the front circuit fill port (not on the ABS pump but next to it).
Yes, you're still going to need a special wrench (either BMW or make your own, easy to make). The speed bleeders have SAE/fractional hex's on them and I don't think they would fit where they have to go on the ABS pump anyway.
Lots of info on how out there. Illinois BMW riders has a good video as do others (IBMWR video is for a LT, same diff.) I'd watch a couple. It's easier than most people let on if you are handy with a wrench. Do it by myself no problem.
Rubber line collapse preventing fluid return? Happens all the time on auto stuff.
While you are at it and have the battery out make sure you check the supply lines from the back reservoirs to the ABS pump. Found one of mine leaking and needing replacement this last go around (has to be EPDM rubber if replaced)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, yes, I've collected a bunch of videos already, the ones for a 2003 K1200RS are probably closest to my bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aye, there's the rub, got rid of my torches and tanks ( and my big vise) in my recent move to Florida, but there's a couple fab shops in the area. I can't remember from video, 7mm or 8mm?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wrenches are pretty hard stuff. Bout have to heat to bend. Also helps to grind the box end a little thinner so there's more room to get the bleed hose on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The bend at the box end needs to be pretty much right at it. The other bend is a little bit personal preference. How much room do you want for getting the bleed hose on and off? Couple inches is nice. It only HAS to be long enough to clear the brake lines bolted to the left side of the ABS pump, but nice to have extra space.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you look at the ABS pump the only reason for the special tool is to bleed the two bleed valves in the little rectangular cut outs on each side of the pump. I think I used a regular wrench on the other 4. On the left side you have to be able to slip it between the brake lines to get at the bleeder.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, I really appreciate your help. I'm a retired carpenter, never really wrenched, nails screws and wood, I'm a master. but wrenches, bolts and nuts wasn't something I ever did, but being retired, with less income and more time, I'm learning

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Car

Just got home and took a look. You need your special wrench for the left side bleeder that comes out diagonally too. And yes about 2 inches between the bends is good. Also, depending on the wrench you buy you might have to sand/grind the outer circumference of the box end for clearance.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks, I really appreciate your help. I'm a retired carpenter, never really wrenched, nails screws and wood, I'm a master. but wrenches, bolts and nuts wasn't something I ever did, but being retired, with less income and more time, I'm learning
Don't sweat it, even a carpenter can turn a wrench. Here's proof... This weekend's project, a toddler bed for one of the foster grandkids.
Furniture Property Table Rectangle Wood

Now I get to go back to finishing the winter chores on the GT. Change fork fluid is the last thing to do. Well, except for putting the plastic all back on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts