·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
I would be cautious about changing until you know for sure that the brake system you have will handle the increased pressure. Steel braided lines do not "give" like the rubber ones thus there is an increase in pressure when used. I don't know how much but it's worth checking out for sure so you don't experience a failure down the road. I would be curious what you find out. Please share your findings.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Clutch line should be available

I put a Spiegler braided clutch line on my 97 K12RS. I got it from Pirate's Lair. It may fit your application. If you do get this make sure you ask for all of the fittings needed. I had to get the matching reservoir banjo bolt directly from Spiegler - I was kind of stuck for time and had everything apart when I discovered this, so it was helpful that they did this. You will need three crush washers on the actuator end to accommodate the spacer too.

I will do the brake lines this winter, after my clutch-which I am not looking forward to. I think as more of these bikes age there will be more failures of both of these hoses. They flex at the bars, which is where my clutch line failed.

Good luck.

Velomaxx

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
milkman said:
I would be cautious about changing until you know for sure that the brake system you have will handle the increased pressure. Steel braided lines do not "give" like the rubber ones thus there is an increase in pressure when used. I don't know how much but it's worth checking out for sure so you don't experience a failure down the road. I would be curious what you find out. Please share your findings.
I forgot to mention that the dealer here is particular about installation of add-ons and knows I'm particular about fit-and-finish, quality and most of all, don't intend on fubar my ride. Can't blame them for wanting a happy customer (especially when it's me;-) Overall I'm confident that they will meet or exceed BMW specifications. I believe the steel braided lines listed by Speigler show the following (not sure if this is source for dealer):
Model Year Remarks Position Qty PartNumber Price
K 1200 GT 03 - orig. w/ABS Front/Rear 6 S-BM0138 $234.95

K 1200 GT 03 - orig. w/ABS Clutch 1 S-BM0139 $117.90

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spiegler response to steel braided for 03 K 1200 RS

The 2003 BMW K1200RS takes the following kits.
The brake line kit, Front/Rear 6 line kit is S-BM0142 with a retail price of 234.95 in clear line and silver fittings.
The clutch line will be part number S-BM0141 and runs 67.95 in clear and silver.
If you have any more questions please give us a call.

Spiegler Performance

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I'm not sure where 'increased pressure' comes from which might be an issue for a braided line. Most of the bike is plumbed in rigid line. Most of the strength is coming from the liner, the braid just makes it look good.

Braided aftermarket lines are usually made using a ptfe liner with stainless steel banjo couplings and crimps. The overall outside diameter of the line is less than the rubber stock and less flexible, but the fluid bore size is the same and ptfe is stronger so pressure is the same.

If I had to choose between a rubber line which sheds rubber into my braking system, loses braking effort due to rubber flex in the line and mild still fittings which rust and look ugly, I'd go with the stiffer inert aftermarket alternative which I did. I fitted a K1200RS Goodridge kit (UK) and have had no probs.

Goodridge don't do a clutch line for the K12 but my local hose dealer said they can make up a custom line using either the original or Goodridge fittings. A job for the future if the clutch needs work.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
264 Posts
milkman said:

SS brake lines don't increase the pressure. The pump (master cylinder) is unchanged. SS brake lines get rid of sponginess and give you a better feel. Brake lever travel will probably be shorter until lockup/ABS actuation since you don't have to inflate your brake line balloons.

Where did you get this misinformation or did you make it up?

Cheers,
jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.