BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am new to BMW's, I have ridden all makes and models previously and have always wanted a BMW. This last spring I finally purchased my fist.
It's a 2003 K1200RS with 17K miles on it and its very clean, with only 17k is a baby in comparison to others, It a dream to ride, so much fun and Smooth man I know now what I was missing.
However I have noticed that when riding down a fairly smooth road, if i hit a seam where the road crew has put sealer in a crack I can feel what I can only explain as a thump in the foot pegs.
This is the only time I feel the thump, if I hit a larger bump or pot hole( I live out side Buffalo NY we have a lot of pot holes)I don't feel it
I have looked at all of the normal spots for any looseness, linkages, play center stand bounce and I cannot seem to locate anything

Has Anyone else experienced this? and what was the cure? or is it a BMW thing ?

Its winter and would like to tear the bike down now rather than in the summer, if I have too

Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd say - "not normal" and "not BMW".

Maybe you're experiencing sympathetic thumping for your H-D bros?

·
Registered
16 Posts
K 1200 RS tend to feel little bumps in the road
You can lessen this affect by turning out the black star shaped knob on the right side of the bike at the base of your rear shock spring. Two other tips when changing the oil keep it to the low side of the site glass all you have to do is be able to see it lining up with the bottom. This will be more than enough oil to be inspect with the bike & well keep pressure off the rear main seal which is been unknown week point on these bikes. The other thing is to change your spark plugs every 10 to 15,000 miles and buy them through Summit racing and save yourself a bunch of cash! Oh yeah I’m as will give you one more do you not use synthetic Gear oil in the transmission & rear drive. Use a high-quality mineral based oil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check the swing arm bearings for proper clearance. I recall a fairly large wrench is needed there? Good luck - let us know how you fix this please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses and a direction to look in. Now that I am watching the snow piling up, it will be a good distraction to start going over the bike getting ready for spring

I will post my findings when I figure out what it is

1 - 5 of 5 Posts