BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
turn on key- fuel pump,ABS works.push start button and can hear the solenoid soft click, nothing happens. no lights,no turnsignals,no flashers,no inst lights. Have to push bike to start. ABS flashes but ABS works ok. Speedometer very erratic. No headlight no tail light no turn sinals. has anyone had a problem like this. Was told that the starter had to be taken out and cleaned. Can't seem to find any info on taking the starter off if nessacery. I have a maint cd and the starter removal looks like a big job, has any one done this? If so please advise. Just trying to save 7or $800 THANKS BY2ORBY$

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Yep, before you even think about removing anything, check the battery AND connections are clean.

If the starter you were thinking of removing was dead, ask yourself why the rest of the electrics aren't working (which has nothing to do with the starter). You didn't say if the lights were ok or not after you push started the bike. Running a bike like this with a battery virtually open circuit can be bad news. The alternator puts out rough dc that has to be smoothed by a good battery to make sure instruments work properly.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
589 Posts
The starter cleaning refers to the fact thet the starter provides a ground path for the electrical system, at least on the earlier K's I don't know if that is consistent with the 1200 series. It does sound like a marginal battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys believe it or not it was the main ground of the bat. i installed an upgrade to the brake lights with the grd wire going to the bat. some time later had the shop instal a new bat. when they hooked the new bat up they only hooked up one grnd which just so happened to be the brakelight ground. evedently the bat ground wire was under the bat box and getting a ground from somewhere. after a week or ten days the bat wire lost it's contact and no start. after a little advice from the '' untrained guys on the website" dealer quote- they wanted me to bring it in $70 hr. i fixed it myself thanks again guys

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
by2orby4 said:
thanks guys believe it or not it was the main ground of the bat. after a little advice from the '' untrained guys on the website" dealer quote- they wanted me to bring it in $70 hr. i fixed it myself thanks again guys

Imagine what we could do over here WITH a little training. :wtf

The mind boggles :coffee

·
Registered
200 Posts
Glad you are up and running

But the rule still stands. Always check customer installed accessories first. And now the 1st add on in many years. Even if the customer was not the last one to mess with it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
by2orby4 said:
..a little advice from the '' untrained guys on the website" dealer quote..
Always remember, this advice from "untrained guys" only costs you what you pay for your Internet access. We don't charge by the hour, and we don't forget to reattach ground wires. :)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
i have had my bike in the shop twice each time it came out it had a new problem....they fixed it but each time it made me wait for the repair....so nothing is a better teacher than experience and having that with your own bike.....

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
by2orby4 said:
thanks guys believe it or not it was the main ground of the bat. i installed an upgrade to the brake lights with the grd wire going to the bat. some time later had the shop instal a new bat. when they hooked the new bat up they only hooked up one grnd which just so happened to be the brakelight ground. evedently the bat ground wire was under the bat box and getting a ground from somewhere. after a week or ten days the bat wire lost it's contact and no start. after a little advice from the '' untrained guys on the website" dealer quote- they wanted me to bring it in $70 hr. i fixed it myself thanks again guys
Everybody needs to be careful with the battery ground wires, if the big fat one is left off and the other ground remains connected, the starter current can go through the smaller loom grounds and do a lot of $$$'s damage to the loom wiring.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts