BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I have a 2003 US K1200RS, which is currently apart for maintenance/upgrades. I purchased the "Euro" style headlight switch from BMW to install, in order to get the headlight control. When I tried the new switch on the bike, it seems to partially work, but not completely.. does anyone know if there is another part (like a relay) that must be switched out as well to make the switch work properly?

I did this mod on my 1985 K100RS about 10 years ago. It was plug-n-play and worked perfectly without any other modifications. I know the K12 is a more complex machine, and the differences between Euro/US models
can cause issues. Before I take the next step in diagnosing, I want to make sure I'm not missing something simple. I have owned 3 BMW cars and 2 BMW bikes in the last 20 years, so I'm used to dealing with finicky German machines :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update - Did a bit of testing. Hadn't had the ignition on in a few days, but when I turned the key, the "euro" switch worked fine, all functions work, headlight/dimmer works. After a minute or two, the switch would not work properly. Lights would not come on, blinking telltales, high beam telltale stays lit even though headlights aren't on, etc. This was the issue I had before.

Possibly low battery? Enough juice when you turn the key, but after a minute, not enough to work?
I put a brand new BMW battery in the bike about a month ago, and connected it for testing. Maybe something drained it?

Possibly a loose relay? Or, when ignition is turned on, power starts to flow through something, causes it to heat up, after a minute or so, connection breaks?

I'm going to let it sit for a day or so and try again to see if I get the same results. I want to check the relays to make sure they aren't loose, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you check the battery?
It should be close to 12.6 V if it's charged.
Close to 14V when engine running/charging. +/- .5V
Measure it again when your dimming condition re-occurs, is the voltage the same? Lower?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts