BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had better days. My relatively new to me K12gt now needs a new engine with less than 31,000 miles. I suspect a prior owner ran it low on oil and then decided to trade it in.

I am careful about checking the oil and the failure was at a slow speed on a city street.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wildbeast said:
Dude that is horrible. Did the rod damage the block? If not can you just change out he rod and piston?

I wasn't that lucky. There's a hole punched in the block. New used engine is going to be needed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's going to be a used engine in any event. No springing for new one from the factory

·
Registered
223 Posts
used k1200gt engine

Ebay usualy has used gt , rs or others that would work. sometimes a very good deal (almost bought 2 different ones just to have , or whole wrecked ones) joesflashdog

·
Registered
53 Posts
I saw a complete motor on eBay 2 days ago. Its no longer there. Keep looking, you'll track one down on eBay.

However, if you're willing to negotiate a decent shipping price from Canada, here's your prize. I found this last week and was going to buy it myself, but I really don't need it:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-touring-BMW-K1200-RS-Engine-Motor-W0QQAdIdZ147986417

You can also have it shipped to a Canadian address nearest to you and drive up and pick it up (ie. Vancouver). :teeth

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 2000 K1200RS threw a rod right through the crank cover at about 8,000 kms on the odometer. The piece of rod went through the side cowl, hit me in the foot, gave me a nice bruise and sprayed oil all over my boot. Got a complete engine and cowl under warranty. I was told a few weeks after the engine refit that there were reports of a few rods not meeting Q/C and slipping through onto the production floor. It's rare but some K bikes have thrown rods. Apparently the problem only manifests itself at high RPM and under no load. You've wicked it up to red line and backed off the throttle without changing gears. That's exactly what I had done when mine went. I guess it's a failure under tension force rather than under a compression force.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts