BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All! Bike is a 2004 K1200GT with 15,5xx miles on it...

I've been getting a numb throttle hand after riding for about 30 minutes on my bike. I adjusted the rotation on the clip ons to help with ergonomics for me (they're tight after removing the bolt, not going anywhere). Helped a bit but still searching on making it better....

I've seen some different threads from many years ago talking about relaxing the throttle spring etc. So now in 2021 what is the general thought on what is the best option?

I also get the JOLT with cruise control usage, which turn makes me not want to use it. I believe this is from improper cable adjustment at the grip, can someone give me steps for how to properly adjust the cables at the grip?

Do I need to be concerned with taking the grip off and lubing the shaft for optimum grip smoothness?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Throttle cable adjustment - have you looked at the method described in the repair manual? For me there was considerable improvement in smooth throttle control through tight corners after adjusting the slack.
http://motobavaria.com/docs/k1200rs_02-04.pdf There are other sources for the document as well.

My ABS does at times jolt when engaged. I'm not sure of the situation now after having adjusted the cable (even though I went for a ride yesterday - perhaps not noticing is the answer).

I too get a numb throttle hand after a short while (with comfort risers for the clip-ons and seat in high position). I try to use the cruise control so I don't need to grasp the grip as tightly. However my cruise control doesn't always engage and I end up with the hand problem. Still working on why it doesn't engage 100% of the time and why it varies with no obvious reason.

I've recently replaced the throttle grip to have heated grips working. There was very little friction between the grip and the shaft. I'd be surprised if there is benefit in lubing the shaft.

·
Registered
15 Posts
On another site someone commented that their K1200RS had fitted the later throttle cable sheath that offers a straight alignment of the cable to the grip rather than the 90 deg bend that most of us see. If I recall correctly that person had a good opinion of the 'throttle weight' or whatever you want to call it.

Item 17 MAX BMW Motorcycles - BMW Parts & Technical Diagrams - K1200RS 02-04 (K41) SET: REP.KIT ACCELERATOR CABLE DEFLECTION was introduced in 12/04.

Does anyone know what problem BMW was trying to solve with this update?

Because I have the same challenges as the OP I'm considering this modification to help my aging hand (arthritis?) combined with new cables.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
669 Posts
There is the above resolve mechanically to the hard throttle. I have seen these comments before. People even remove springs on the fuel rack. I hope the above suggestions help. But I have one more. I have some hand problems but they are minor. This device really helps me. It is invisible after you are used to it. I've used it for years on all my bikes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts