BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 76K on the odo, I'm starting to notice that with the clutch pulled in (in 1st gear) and starting the bike, it tries to move forward. The shifting is still fine although finding neutral is getting a little trickier. And there are times when stopped with the clutch pulled in it feels like the bike wants to inch forward. Is this a sign the clutch is about to go, or can this adjusted out?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would say yes, do you have any history on the bike? If this is 76k and first clutch that's really good. There's no real adjustments, if I were you I'd try the Barnett plates only and bypass the dealer if possible

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most that mileage is mine.

Is there a How To on replacing the plates? I couldn't find it in the search.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wow, 76k on original clutch! I thought I was easy on mine but I just had to have dealer replace mine at 52,000. My buddy had his K12R replace at only 30k. Mine would not go in to neutral.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2wheeler said:
Wow, 76k on original clutch! I thought I was easy on mine but I just had to have dealer replace mine at 52,000. My buddy had his K12R replace at only 30k. Mine would not go in to neutral.
Yeah, I've been lucky. I've got a call in to the local shop to see what it's gonna cost. I found a video on how to do it, but I don't have the space or tools so it's off to the shop.

Do you remember how much your was to replace?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2wheeler said:
$1070 parts and labor. Expensive, but cheaper than a new K16.
I hope mine is that cheap. I called yesterday to talk to them about it. They said worst case would be around $2200 including labor. They also told me I had 2 or 3 warranty recalls on it that I never got a notice on. One was for some bracket on the rear that could crack and one was for the fuel pump. Soooo....maybe since they have to do all that some of my labor costs will go down. Yeah, right.

On a side note....I found a place that claims they can rebuild the OE ESA shocks, so I picked up a used one on eBay and shipped it off this morning for rebuild. I'll add that to all the other stuff I need done to the bike. The dealer's gonna love to see my wallet coming!

·
Registered
365 Posts
[QUOTEI found a place that claims they can rebuild the OE ESA shocks, so I picked up a used one on eBay and shipped it off this morning for rebuild.QUOTE]

Let us all know the vendor if he is successful

I love this bike, but have been putting $50 a month into the "unusual repair" fund. Maybe it's not enough :teeth

·
Registered
23 Posts
new Clutch plates for me

So, just like you dwsdad, at 85K miles the coupling cap was replaced on my bike. 15K miles later with original clutch plates, after a long trip and oil change my clutch started slipping and lurching forward from neutral to 1st and then it became almost impossible to find neutral. I ordered the Barnett clutch pack and had it changed, immediately the rattling in neutral was diminished and the shifting was 80% better. --Almost every wedge K bike i have ridden has had a "clunky" shift.-- Anyway, 200 miles in on the new clutch pack and it just doesn't seem to have the responsiveness that is once had. Now when cruising in 4th and twisting the throttle it seems to take a second then really starts to go as before when you twisted the throttle you took off like a rocket. my question is, if the dealer replaced the coupling cap, why wouldn't they say something about the plates? When we took the plates out, one of them was worn all the way down and the other was almost worn into nothing. Could it be more than just the clutch plates?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brianhinton said:
So, just like you dwsdad, at 85K miles the coupling cap was replaced on my bike. 15K miles later with original clutch plates, after a long trip and oil change my clutch started slipping and lurching forward from neutral to 1st and then it became almost impossible to find neutral. I ordered the Barnett clutch pack and had it changed, immediately the rattling in neutral was diminished and the shifting was 80% better. --Almost every wedge K bike i have ridden has had a "clunky" shift.-- Anyway, 200 miles in on the new clutch pack and it just doesn't seem to have the responsiveness that is once had. Now when cruising in 4th and twisting the throttle it seems to take a second then really starts to go as before when you twisted the throttle you took off like a rocket. my question is, if the dealer replaced the coupling cap, why wouldn't they say something about the plates? When we took the plates out, one of them was worn all the way down and the other was almost worn into nothing. Could it be more than just the clutch plates?
You would have thought the dealer would've done the plates at the same time. I guess maybe it depends on how competent the mechanic, uh, tech, is that's doing the work.

As much as I've heard about the Barnett clutch plates, I'm going to just let the dealer install whatever he thinks best (read that as BMW I'm sure). I just hope the basket isn't worn out.

Did you soak the plates in oil before installing?

·
Registered
677 Posts
aj7840 said:
[QUOTEI found a place that claims they can rebuild the OE ESA shocks, so I picked up a used one on eBay and shipped it off this morning for rebuild.QUOTE]

Let us all know the vendor if he is successful

I love this bike, but have been putting $50 a month into the "unusual repair" fund. Maybe it's not enough :teeth
Can you please tell us who you shipped the shocks off for ESA rebuild? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
lhendrick said:
aj7840 said:
See posts #23 and #38 in this thread for good info about shocks:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=15296

The rear ESA shock on my 2007 K1200GT was leaking oil. I took it to RaceTech and they fixed it quickly, and for a very reasonable price. The K1200GT rides great and I am very pleased with the results.

RaceTech will do a rear shock, but I am not 100% sure that they will do a K1200GT ESA front shock - check with them first.

http://www.racetech.com

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lhendrick said:
aj7840 said:
I'll add this to the thread about alternative ESA shocks as soon as I get it back and installed, but to answer your question: go-race.com

I sent mine off 8/20 and called them this morning to make sure they had it and the rebuild instructions I told the Pack and Mail place to include. They guy that answered said yes, it had arrived and that Travis was finishing it up today. Today is 8/31. So really not bad turnaround time considering it took 3 or 4 days to get there. They are supposed to call me with the cost and arrange for the payment. When I talked to Travis before I sent it off, he quoted me a price of $450. We'll see. I can't wait to get it installed and test it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts