BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
Just bought my first K bike.
I searched but could not find a definite answer.

*I’m about to do an oil change and have not done any servicing prior to this *

while getting things ready I noticed that the oil dipstick under the seat shows medium oil level (between high and low) but the oil windows is about 3-4 inches below the low level.
Does this mean the oil was low in the motor but sufficient in the oil canister?

and please correct me if I’m wrong I’m filling it with oil till it’s between high and low in the plastic pipe window.

thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
429 Posts
Here is a link to the BMW K1200R manual - LINK

·
Registered
99 Posts
The K series are technically complex machines even more so if you have not previously carried out servicing. I would STRONGLY recommend that you get the BMW Reprom DVD and familiarise yourself with the servicing aspects BEFORE you start anything

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congrats on getting a K1200R! There is a learning curve but here's my 2 cents (sorry for repeating some stuff already mentioned):

-5W40 full synthetic (BMW Mottorrad currently recommends this oil for the bike)
-3.5 litres with filter replacement. When you finish adding the oil it appears to be 2"-3" below minimum in the plastic hose. Don't worry, take it out for a short run. Upon returning check the hose again with the bike on its centre stand and it should be perfectly between the high and low marks of the hose.
-be careful not to overfill-always check levels when the bike is hot or at operating temperature
-follow the steps carefully as boxerboy81 attached.

I owned a F800ST before and the oil levels (for changing oil) were all approximations but I was pleasantly surprised at how exact the oil levels were for the K1200R.
Good luck!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts