BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Keith and my current ride is a 2006 K1200S. Love the bike but am sadly loving it less these days. I'm experiencing ABS issues and am hoping to glean some good info here to keep me loving the bike for the foreseeable future. I'm right at the 18K service and now have the added bugaboo of a flashing red triangle and greatly reduced braking power. I spoke with the local dealer and they are speculating that the abs brake module is the likely culprit. No worries, it is only $2200 plus whatever the labor cost is to swap it out [criminy] Presently, I've ruled out the battery as the charge is close to 13v. Brake fluid is clear and not low and was changed out when i bought the bike in June 2017.

If anyone can shed some light on this subject I'm grateful for your insights or experiences. Another issue I have is finding local talent (any Alabama riders here) to wrench on the bike other than the dealer, and yes, I do understand that they are likely the only ones that has the correct diagnostic equipment. The dealer told me several bikes of this vintage have similar /same issues. I inquired as to how those customers remedied the problem. I was told that none opted to spend the money for the $2200 part and opted to disable the unit and go without abs. I doubt it is that simple but am open to understanding what that would involve. Thanks for letting me air it out abit and i welcome any constructive feedback you would care to share.

Regards,
Keith

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check wire

Check both front and rear abs sensors mounted on the wheels,make sure they are clean,also I had this problem had the error read by a friend that had bmw ista/d and showed open circuit on front abs
sensor.The wire is inside a plastic sheath kinda like heat shrink and the way it was routed up front attached to my steering the sheath was making a bend at a certain place and cut the wire into inside the
sheath,hope this makes sense :smile

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you cclaypool16, i will have a look. Since my original post I've searched high and low and discovered some helpful and some hurtful info concerning this particular braking system. Anyway, I will post my results when I have the issue resolved for better or worse. Thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes please do post your results,could help someone in the future,because these bikes are loved by many including myself :grin:eek:ldster:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps I just never noticed it but, I do not recall ever hearing the "servo whine" that I read about and watched in a youtube video. My bike does not make the whine. It was manufactured 11/2005 which clearly puts in the 1st generation/servo assist ABS. Is the servo part of the abs modulator? I'm assuming it is. Because I do not recall ever hearing the whine I suppose it is possible that it was swapped to the non -servo assist abs. If the rain lets up today i'm going to try and put eyes on the unit. Thoughts, comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No issues with my brake light. Not sure how to check the microswitch but I did alter the adjustment to no avail. I do not know anyone with a GS-911. Still raining here so I cannot id the abs unit i have. I know it should be gen1 but, in the 1.5 years having the bike I do not recall hearing that whine. I normally have my helmet on and suited up before I start the bike but its hard for me to believe I would not have noticed the whine. If I have the abs that should come with this bike I guess the dealer is my next stop to run a diagnostic on the brake system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rebuild

https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/

These guys have been gearing up to rebuild the K1200S ABS unit, but it looks like it's still not available for 2004- 2006 models. I was waiting for them to announce availability for the unit on my 2005 K1200S, but since the bike was totaled last week by a cager, it's no longer necessary. (I'm fine, thanks to Aerostich, Sidi and Rukka, and now have a 2012 K1300S courtesy of the cager's insurance company) My BMW dealer was happy to remove the ABS unit and send it to Module Master once the service was available.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes for sure,first thing is get error read and then you can make a plan of action and know more where exactly the problem lies !!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is next step. I can confirm that I have the iABS 1st generation, put eyes on it today. Mine is clearly not making the servo whine. Dealer is next move [yikes]

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a K1200GT 2006 and recently had an ABS failure verified first by GS-911 and then finally dealer. Fortunately on this model pulling ABS was easy and sent it off for repair to below address. I am still awaiting unit to be fixed and returned but is vastly lower cost than new ABS. Your dealer can also send unit for repair. 2006 model was recently added to repair by company so good timing.

Module Master / Circuit Solutions
www.modulemaster.com
2006 S Main
Moscow, ID 83843

·
Registered
62 Posts
2005 model

My ABS malfunctioned and I couldn't find anyone to repair it.
I had the abs module out - not easy.
Since I know how to design modules like that I thought I might as well have a look.
It was easy to fix once it was out, but you can't test it until you put it all back again.
I don't know what is wrong with yours, but mine was just dirty contacts internally.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Keith, I have watched this video a couple times regarding ABS repair and shipping parts off for rebuild.

I do like to repair my own bike up to a point. Doing the ABS reaches my limit on repairs. Sorry, I can't do those. I like the ABS brakes very much and need it for my safety, so turning it off is not on my preferences.

I recently purchased a used GS-911 tool and recommend it. It is great for bike owners who want some details before jumping into the fire. Helps you traced down what sensors are working and what sensors are flagging the errors. It allows code clearing to get a repeat error. Google search it, Craigslist, eBay. It is $399 new and I got a used one without sales taxes for $350. Good enough for me. Don't get the china $150 version on ebay, fake I hear.

Without the tool, check the battery strength that you did already. Check the brake fluid low. Check to see if the brake fluid is very dirty brown, indicating it was neglected more than 2yrs and not changed. Check as suggested all the brake lines for wear and the sensors on the brake disks for dirt, worn stuff.

If you don't see anything, you are kind of stuck, get the tool or go to the dealer. I think replacing the master ABS unit is extreme but common problem for neglected brake fluids, I am told.

Good luck on your adventure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The dealership is probably right. I just replaced my ABS unit in my 2007 K12 although I had 31,000 with a heavy commuting history. I got a rebuilt unit for about $1,000 installed at Bobs BMW (bobsbmw.com).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, my name is Keith and my current ride is a 2006 K1200S. Love the bike but am sadly loving it less these days. I'm experiencing ABS issues and am hoping to glean some good info here to keep me loving the bike for the foreseeable future. I'm right at the 18K service and now have the added bugaboo of a flashing red triangle and greatly reduced braking power. I spoke with the local dealer and they are speculating that the abs brake module is the likely culprit. No worries, it is only $2200 plus whatever the labor cost is to swap it out [criminy] Presently, I've ruled out the battery as the charge is close to 13v. Brake fluid is clear and not low and was changed out when i bought the bike in June 2017.

If anyone can shed some light on this subject I'm grateful for your insights or experiences. Another issue I have is finding local talent (any Alabama riders here) to wrench on the bike other than the dealer, and yes, I do understand that they are likely the only ones that has the correct diagnostic equipment. The dealer told me several bikes of this vintage have similar /same issues. I inquired as to how those customers remedied the problem. I was told that none opted to spend the money for the $2200 part and opted to disable the unit and go without abs. I doubt it is that simple but am open to understanding what that would involve. Thanks for letting me air it out abit and i welcome any constructive feedback you would care to share.

Regards,
Keith
The dealership quick diagnosis is probably correct. I just replaced my ABS unit in my 2007 K12. But mine had 32,000 and alot of heavy traffic commuting miles. My dealership, Bob's BMW (www.bobsbmw.com) sold me a rebuilt unit for about $1,000 with labor. The dealership should have a line on rebuilt ones. Let them install it too. Time to bite the bullet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is my understanding at this point in time a rebuild for the abs /servo assist brakes is not available. From my research, the '04-'06 up to Aug 2006 have the servo assist modules. ModuleMasters does not currently have a fix for these units. I've contacted ModuleMasters for additional info about a fix forthcoming in the near future. I would like to keep the abs feature if possible. I'm curious if anyone has modified there bike to the non servo assist module. I'm that may not be cost effective bu t i don't know at this point. As i find out more i will post my findings an ultimate resolution to this adventure.

·
Registered
135 Posts
For all you guys hoping to see a fix for Servo Assist out of ModuleMaster; if they haven't come up with work on this mess by now, it's not going to happen. The system was a fiasco to begin with and not worth trying to save. Power brakes on a motorcycle are a joke which Beemer only did to have some new gimmick that Honda didn't.

That's how the pattern works, BMW comes up with new advanced technology, mostly electronic, and is just a bunch of Gimmicks nobody really needs. Then Honda and the rest of the Japanese bikes copy Beemer, HD, and Ducati's lead.

Get rid of the Servo Assist. It's a gimmick.

Eventually, Honda will have the last laugh because out there in the middle of nowhere Guatemala on a red clay muddy road there is a Honda sigh hanging on a shack and the guy there can actually get your beat up little Honda dirt bike running again. The guy from San Diego on the new R Adventure Monstrosity with the burned up Control Module will be Shit Out of Luck because the nearest replacement is in Berlin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For all you guys hoping to see a fix for Servo Assist out of ModuleMaster; if they haven't come up with work on this mess by now, it's not going to happen. The system was a fiasco to begin with and not worth trying to save. Power brakes on a motorcycle are a joke which Beemer only did to have some new gimmick that Honda didn't.

That's how the pattern works, BMW comes up with new advanced technology, mostly electronic, and is just a bunch of Gimmicks nobody really needs. Then Honda and the rest of the Japanese bikes copy Beemer, HD, and Ducati's lead.

Get rid of the Servo Assist. It's a gimmick.

Eventually, Honda will have the last laugh because out there in the middle of nowhere Guatemala on a red clay muddy road there is a Honda sigh hanging on a shack and the guy there can actually get your beat up little Honda dirt bike running again. The guy from San Diego on the new R Adventure Monstrosity with the burned up Control Module will be Shit Out of Luck because the nearest replacement is in Berlin.
i spoke with ModuleMasters last week and the person that repairs these says he could have mine repaired by late Spring. I'm waiting for the dealer's diagnostic (should be any day now)before I know my next move. Not sure the 250.00 repair cost is applicable for the servo-assist units; will find out and report back as i know more.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts