BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a K1200GT. I'm wondering what kind of difference there is with the brakes between the 2 now the '07 has a new braking system and doesn't have the servos.

I'd like to get an '07 I think but I also think I can get a pretty good deal on an '06.

ANy comments?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I purchased an 06 partly because I like the servo brakes!
Either is a great bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
ditto. I am used to the servo brakes I had on my 2002 KRS. They are great ! Wondered why BMW switched?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Frankly, I'd go with the better deal. All things being equal (i.e. no miles, equally equipped, etc., etc...).

larrykay said:
I am used to the servo brakes I had on my 2002 KRS. They are great ! Wondered why BMW switched?
A lot of first-time Beemer owners and/or testers aren't used to how sensitive they are. Personally, I LOVE them. But most riders are used to a more "linear" feel. All I know is that I spent a LOT of money on my Ninja trying to get the brakes as good as the BMW servo-assisted brakes. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
larrykay said:
ditto. I am used to the servo brakes I had on my 2002 KRS. They are great ! Wondered why BMW switched?
I didn't like them on the '05 RT as they were LOUD! On the GT they aren't that bad and I also like the reduced effort on the lever.

Dealer said it was a trade-off for the Traction Control without raising the price too much, if at all. Some police complained about the "feel" and their needed slow speed control. The magazines ripped them pretty good on other bikes that had them as overkill.

Service and the associated costs without the servo-assist might be easier on the wallet too, imho.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can't seem to sell my 04GT because of them. Three pre servo LT owners have test riden my 04. They hate them as much as i do. After 12k miles i still can't get used to them after 20 years of Heavy weight sport bikes. As soon as i off load the 04 an 07 will replace it within a week.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
ccii42104 said:
I can't seem to sell my 04GT because of them. Three pre servo LT owners have test riden my 04.
I ain't buying it...that's not the only reason you having a hard time selling. There's a lot of variables and reasons why you're having a hard time selling an '04 GT...especailly since the new GT is here. Couple that with the fact that the newly-designed LT is on a lot of current LT owners' minds. (Who knows when that'll get here!) I don't envy you for trying to sell that bike right now. The saddest part is, those GTs are really sweet. Not as sweet as mine ;) . . . but they are still sweet. If I were a rich man, I'd take it off your hands, you betcha.

·
Registered
260 Posts
ccii42104 said:
I can't seem to sell my 04GT because of them. Three pre servo LT owners have test riden my 04. They hate them as much as i do. After 12k miles i still can't get used to them after 20 years of Heavy weight sport bikes. As soon as i off load the 04 an 07 will replace it within a week.
I'm with Messenger13 on this one.

Sure, here in N-east Ohio I know of at least 3 nice, low mile GT1/RSs for sale that have been sitting at the dealerships for nearly half a year. I don't believe it has anything to do with power assisted brakes. There are also at least 10 new '07 GT2s for sale in N-east Ohio some of which have also been sitting for months. (I know, it's winter)

To the original post,

I've got an '04 GT with the servo assist brakes and I like 'em alot. Yes, they are non-linear during actuation. However, I'm accustomed to it and I LIKE IT (Saturday Night Live). Sort of like the oft criticized turn signal switchgear setup.

Here's why I like the power assisted brakes.

For the most part I ride quite conservatively. In the few panic/emergency braking situations I've had in my m-c riding life I made the same error each time. I did not pull the front brake hard enough. Don't know why. Yes, I do practice emergency stops. But as most of us know, a real emergency is a horse of a different color.

For me, in an emergency, the power assist takes the (not applying enough front brakes) out of the equation. If I panic, I clench, the brakes are PLENTY ON, and the abs is at the ready if called upon. As the situation is relieved by decrease of speed, good fortune, act of God, or otherwise I can release the brakes as needed.

I think it helps me, as an average joe, when confronted with the unexpected.
Maybe this is what BMW had in mind in the first place when they decided to go with power assist.

If I were in the market for a new GT2 it would be a tough decision, '06 or '07.
Having written the above, I guess I'd go for the one with the power assist ('06). Though it seems like all the m-c magazines are saying good riddance to power assist. Also, '07s can include the HID headlight option and the latest engine management software.
Decisions..

Oh well,
Just put $1500 of love into the '04, fine bike, trimmed to suit me, going to keep it a while.

Dmilan

·
Registered
838 Posts
BCdon,

Just so you know (if you didn't already), Xenon was (is) available on '06 bikes in Canada. I see you're from Calgary, so I would expect that might be available to you depending of course on remaining inventory. I'm surprised they still have an '06. My dealer here locally was completely sold out of his '06 allocation long before he even had them. He's already pre-sold several '07s for spring delivery.

It sounds to me like a "bargain" priced '06 is the way to go. I know I got NO bargain (some accessories at cost).

Good luck!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Chris. There is one '06 here but it is a demo (300 Klics on it) and it isn't in the colour that I'd like. But it does have the Xenon light on it.

I've held off making a deal cause I felt I needed to test ride the bike. But I'm reconsidering now. I suspect I'll go with the '07, fully loaded.

From a brake perspective, I'm a Safety Council (like MSF) volunteer motorcycle instructor. As such I do want to be able to ride slowly, slipping the clutch and modulating the rear brake.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Don,

Skip the demo '06. It was ridden hard, besides when you spend this kind of cash you should get the colour you prefer.

A fully loaded '07 sounds perfect. The rear brake isn't linked on either the '06 or '07, so MSF chores should be no problem on either. However, on the '07 the brakes use no electrical power like the servo-assist on the '06. That would be better for MSF. (You can also kill the headlight.)

I suggested in your other thread you purchase "conditionally" on having a test ride on your bike when it arrives.

Be sure you get the TPM system.

How tall are you? And what's your inseam. I could give you some suggestions on seating and windshield. The "low-seat" option is a must have regardless of your height unless you're really long-legged. It is far more comfortable. (I've had both.) It's shaped differently and has better padding a no forward leaning slope. I've 12k on mine and have no complaint. I'm 5'6" and find the regular windshield more than adequate. Some of the guys coming from LTs expect complete weatherproofness, I'm not as particular. I like the wind on my helmet (it's clean, no buffeting) on a hot day and with my height with windshield fully raised, I have more than adequate weather protection. See me on the bike in the rain on "pics of a GT thread".

Good luck.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THanks Chris. I'm 5' 10" with a 32" inseam so I'm not worried about seat height at all. I've ridden a VFR before so I'm used to being out in the wind. Even with my GL1800 wing I have the sheild at the lowest position most of the time. So as long as the air flow is clean.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Don,

At your height I'd go the low seat option in the high position with the optional tall shield adjusted as required according weather and other needs. I find the low seat in the low position with the low shield perfect at 5'6".

From what I've read here and from personal experience, if you have any hope of keeping the stock seat (unless things have changed) go with the low seat option.

·
Registered
838 Posts
And Don don't forget to get the dealer to "throw in" a BMW charger as specified for this bike. Plugs right into the accessory port, Canbus friendly (with the proper procedure) and works great. Nice "storage" features for our long Canadian winter.

While you're at it ask for a BMW indoor garage cover too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts