BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Sorry to be vague but how do you tell an 07 from an 06 bike, at the shop they said it was hard to tell as mine is either one of the last 06's or one of the first 07's. At my first service i noticed a difference from the demo bike i was lent as there brakes made a definate noise [ servo ] when applied, whereas mine don't, the salesman said mine would just be quiet. When i got home i tried applying the brake and there isn't any noise does this make it an 07? and if so what have they done to the brakes as the demo bikes brakes seemed stronger immediatly whereas mine seemed to have to be squeezed abit first to really bite.

Thanks for any help

Safe riding

Tim

·
Registered
68 Posts
first of all
on the VIN plate on the steering head or downtubes.... you can see the MODEL YEAR OF PRODUCTION and know that it is an '07 model

but.....
no servo noise means....
'07

·
Registered
68 Posts
also....
is your dealer a jackass?
the paperwork that comes with your bike CLEARLY STATES if it is an '06 or '07
they can't figure it out?
i'd quickly find someone ELSE to service your bike

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
also....
is your dealer a jackass?
the paperwork that comes with your bike CLEARLY STATES if it is an '06 or '07
they can't figure it out?
i'd quickly find someone ELSE to service your bike
Greg,

Since Tim is in the UK, their VINs might be different. Also since Europe has a different way of determining model year, it might be possible that he has a bike produced with the new Continental-Teves brakes and still be a 2006 model year.

·
Registered
68 Posts
eljeffe said:
Greg,

Since Tim is in the UK, their VINs might be different. Also since Europe has a different way of determining model year, it might be possible that he has a bike produced with the new Continental-Teves brakes and still be a 2006 model year.
hmm..
that is correct, Jeff
i'm glad you pointed that out to me

·
Registered
68 Posts
sorry if i came across as being rude
i didn't mean it that way

sorry again
i apologize

·
Registered
6 Posts
Eagle has landed...

.......and ready for take-off!!

Today I picked up the brand new GT.
It's a '07 model!
No servo's but fine breaking. In the users manual (yes, i did read it) the ASC and the Tire-pressure are mentioned. I don't heve these as options (yet) but this means that it's the latest model. Also confirmed at the dealers that the 7.0 software is installed.
Man I like this bike!!!!
Anyway, when the non-servo braking system is installed it has got to be a '07 model.

Greetings from one happy dutch guy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
well... that is fantastic news
i just got the word that my bike will be here tomorrow.... probably

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi
Thanks for the replys, it all helps as i'm not a big techno buff . My booklet also has the details about the ASC & tyre pressure monitor so it looks like it's an 07 model , but i still don't know why they took off the servo assist , i hope it's better without. But the bike has really exceeded my own expectations. I'm now off on a 10 day trip around europe so i will find out if the touring part of the bike is as good as the sports part.

Thanks again all the best riding your GT's

Tim

·
Registered
117 Posts
timg said:
Hi
Thanks for the replys, it all helps as i'm not a big techno buff . My booklet also has the details about the ASC & tyre pressure monitor so it looks like it's an 07 model , but i still don't know why they took off the servo assist , i hope it's better without. But the bike has really exceeded my own expectations. I'm now off on a 10 day trip around europe so i will find out if the touring part of the bike is as good as the sports part.

Thanks again all the best riding your GT's

Tim
You will not have any problem with the new brakes. Having ridden both the 06 and now the 07, I personally prefer the new brakes because it is easier to control the brake pressure in the mid-range (i.e. not gentle, but not emergency stop either). Yes, you need a little more pressure on the lever or foot pedal than on the servo system, but this gives you, the rider, finer control of exactly how much braking effort to apply.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The easiest way to tell whether you have an '06 or an '07 GT is like this:
  • Pull up next to an '06 GT at a stop light.
  • When the light turns green, go as fast as you can.
  • If the other GT is faster than yours, you have an '07. :p

·
Registered
68 Posts
messenger13 said:
The easiest way to tell whether you have an '06 or an '07 GT is like this:
  • Pull up next to an '06 GT at a stop light.
  • When the light turns green, go as fast as you can.
  • If the other GT is faster than yours, you have an '07. :p
but....
joe that wouldn't hold true if the person on the '06 was as big as YOU :p

·
Registered
68 Posts
messenger13 said:
Doesn't matter. That's just how much faster the '06s are. Scary! Mine runs like a ticked-off white-faced black hornet on crack!!!

zoom zoom...
so you ARE still paying attention
hopefully we'll BOTH gain 5 pounds at lunch in Tellico plains soon

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Chrisdy said:
You will not have any problem with the new brakes. Having ridden both the 06 and now the 07, I personally prefer the new brakes because it is easier to control the brake pressure in the mid-range (i.e. not gentle, but not emergency stop either). Yes, you need a little more pressure on the lever or foot pedal than on the servo system, but this gives you, the rider, finer control of exactly how much braking effort to apply.
Is the '07 cheaper than the '06? Should be. Dropping the servo is saving the factory at least $1000.
:wtf

·
Registered
117 Posts
milkman said:
Is the '07 cheaper than the '06? Should be. Dropping the servo is saving the factory at least $1000.
:wtf
In true BMW fashion the price went UP for the '07 models - it's called inflation :(
Fortunately I ordered mine just before the price increase was announced. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts