BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my GT last week and spent 3 days on county roads in Georgia. Put about 200 miles a day with the wife on back. She loves it and so do I. Its my first BMW and Im impressed. Went back to Tallahasse and got my 600 mile service and headed home to Pensacola. Rode thru a hell of a rain storm with 40 mph cross winds and the bike stuck like glue. If I had been on my Victory I would have had to pull over.
Her is the kicker, Im coming from a Victory and the ridding position on the GT is killing my knees. I had the dealer lower the pegs one inch and have ordered some handle bar extensions also. Highest position not enough.
I love this bike and hope I can get comforable on it. Wife says I need to work out a little and get my knees in shape.
Is there any (highway pegs) available for this bike? I know that sounds crazy but on long trips I need to stretch out some.
David AKA Catfish

·
Registered
46 Posts
Old age, I'm afraid....stretch ....stretch and stretch again. The best engineering solution is with you, not the bike.

As a fanatical runner, who knows many other fanatical runners, i can tell you that knee
pain is most often caused by ligament and muscle issues running through and across the knees.

It makes sense.

So stretch out those hamstrings.

Ben

·
Registered
102 Posts
David,

I'm coming from Victory as well. Had an 04 Kingpin and am selling the 03 Classic Cruiser, great bikes but not the KGT. Why'd you switch and what Vic were you riding? I don't know if you spent much time at thevmc.com but I'm enjoying the deeper gene pool of the BMW forums and crowd. Vic's customer base went from "bike enthusiats" to "penis compensators" as the 250mm rear tire "[factory mass produced] custom" became the "new american motrocycle" and they dropped the bikes that put them on the map.

Great engine, the Freedom is. I don't count them out yet, but once I started looking at the beemers I couldn't stop. Then I test rode the KGT and that was all it took. For the same $20k you're getting so much more bike AND it doesn't punish you. Anyhoo...

Checkout this link for a great discussion on riding position and exercises. For me I've been running 3-4 miles 3-5 times per week and it has really helped my core muscles and stamina. http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/80560/an/page/page//vc/1

Brian

·
Registered
437 Posts
a tip

i was six months getting used to the bmw riding position. coupla tips: keep toes as close to six oclock when riding. this will put balance in legs where it belongs. concentrate on relaxing elbows, this will be a good barometer as to whether u are riding correctly. master this and riding will become very relaxing. good luck.

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
Hey Catfish, I've yet to do a long day on the GT, but did plenty of 1,000+ mile days on the LT. I've found just moving around helps a lot. What I call "pumping", little up and downs using the legs. You can drop your legs off the pegs (be real careful and don't do it in turns) and stretch them out.

Some genius will come up with something eventualy to get the legs stretched out some. On the LT I had a product call the Highway Ottomans. Put a leg straight out on one and it really stretches out the ham.

At times I miss the LT, but am I a fickle bitch or what? As soon as I throw a leg over the GT, all of them thoughts are gone.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
bridwell52 said:
Picked up my GT last week and spent 3 days on county roads in Georgia. Put about 200 miles a day with the wife on back. She loves it and so do I. Its my first BMW and Im impressed. Went back to Tallahasse and got my 600 mile service and headed home to Pensacola. Rode thru a hell of a rain storm with 40 mph cross winds and the bike stuck like glue. If I had been on my Victory I would have had to pull over.
Her is the kicker, Im coming from a Victory and the ridding position on the GT is killing my knees. I had the dealer lower the pegs one inch and have ordered some handle bar extensions also. Highest position not enough.
I love this bike and hope I can get comforable on it. Wife says I need to work out a little and get my knees in shape.
Is there any (highway pegs) available for this bike? I know that sounds crazy but on long trips I need to stretch out some.
David AKA Catfish
Age creeping in, but here's another suggestion. DVT, or 'deep vein thrombosis', without going into the physiology as I am not a doctor, has to do with blood pooling in the veins and clotting, and all of the bad things associated with blood clots.

During a long ride, no matter what bike I am on I periodically (at least once per hour) I do isotonics on my legs/calves (tense/un-tense) and do leg 'push-ups'. Doesn't take but a minute or two, and I think it helps a lot.

Good luck, and welcome.

·
Registered
38 Posts
grifscoots said:
Hey Catfish, I've yet to do a long day on the GT, but did plenty of 1,000+ mile days on the LT. I've found just moving around helps a lot. What I call "pumping", little up and downs using the legs. You can drop your legs off the pegs (be real careful and don't do it in turns) and stretch them out.

Some genius will come up with something eventualy to get the legs stretched out some. On the LT I had a product call the Highway Ottomans. Put a leg straight out on one and it really stretches out the ham.

At times I miss the LT, but am I a fickle bitch or what? As soon as I throw a leg over the GT, all of them thoughts are gone.
I sure hope you're right, and that some way to add highway (i.e. forward) pegs without drilling thru the fairing is developed soon. This is the one place where my FJR has a clear advantage on long mileage days over the GT. And, the FJR pegs were fairly inexpensive and took 15 minutes to install as well.

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
TouringProfessor said:
I sure hope you're right, and that some way to add highway (i.e. forward) pegs without drilling thru the fairing is developed soon. This is the one place where my FJR has a clear advantage on long mileage days over the GT. And, the FJR pegs were fairly inexpensive and took 15 minutes to install as well.
Ron, of Kontour Seats fame, has developed some slick calf placements CNC'ed from aluminum for the LT. He's working on the GT as we speak. Hey Ron!!!! You better be working on the GT one's.

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
I will only echo the responses that the solution to knee pain is with the rider rather than the bike. I am a BIG guy and have had achy knees all my life, especially since high school football. Since I started riding bikes for longer distances about ten years ago, I began to specifically work on stretching and exercising my knees. I only do it a few times a week, but it makes it possible for me to ride even the K1200S with little discomfort. Like others have said you also need to stretch and/or move your legs from time to time while riding. Everyone finds their own method - mine is to stick one leg out then the other to the side several times an hour. I also stand up on the pegs or let my legs hang down. The key is to move them frequently. When I stop for fuel, I spend a few minutes alternating between straightening my knees and squatting. One day on a recent trip, I rode the GT over 600 miles, stopping twice for fuel only and at the end of the day my knees were not a problem at all.

On my LT I had J-pegs, later replaced by the XL version. I found that the techniques described above worked better than the J-pegs for keeping my knees comfortable.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Try titanium tape...And don't knock it till you have at least tried it. Or, you can continue with the pain. Your choice obviously. Available at some sport stores or on-line. Google it.

Just trying to help out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Knees

Thanks to all for the thoughts of wisdom. I thought it probally was my age (53) and the wife told me to work out some. So, this weekend I rode for about 200 miles on Sat. and 200 on Sunday. Its getting better already. After riding a Victory Vegas this machine is , well WOW. a HONDA vtx 1800 wanted to play and keep on and on until i had to smoke him. I felt sorry for him in third and let off a little.
My gas gage on the computer keeps blinking. When I filled it up it would not reset.
The only thing about this machine that was a let down was the clunking of the gears. My old 750 Honda was so smooth and quiet I figured this 4 would be too. Wrong, its as loud as the Victory shifting.
I have to go work out now see yall later
David

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
bridwell52 said:
The only thing about this machine that was a let down was the clunking of the gears. My old 750 Honda was so smooth and quiet I figured this 4 would be too. Wrong, its as loud as the Victory shifting.
I have to go work out now see yall later
David
Try barely depressing the clutch lever when shifting. Mine clunks when doing a full pull, but just using the end of play, smoooooooooothe.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
6:00 toes

billbeemer said:
i was six months getting used to the bmw riding position. coupla tips: keep toes as close to six oclock when riding. this will put balance in legs where it belongs. concentrate on relaxing elbows, this will be a good barometer as to whether u are riding correctly. master this and riding will become very relaxing. good luck.
This weekend showed a VTX what the Gt will do at High speed cornering and damn if my left toe didnt drag for a second. Scared the hell out of me. Ive never ridin a bike that the rider drags before the pegs. Keep your feet level when corning, or loose them.
PS I did lower the pegs one inch from stock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try TechSpec's Tank Grips / Protection kit, www.techspec-usa.com. Its a solid product, good reviews and customer service is first class. There is a 1200GT kit, but the only pictures for the GT are under the custom projects section.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts