BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY GT has developed an overheating problem in traffic on hot days (+85). I don't hear the fan come on so I'm assuming that it's an electrical issue.
I've been all over the parts microfische and don't see a fan switch in the system.
During normal operation the gauge runs in the normal range.
Any suggestions?

Gary
07 K1200GT

·
Registered
752 Posts
There is no separate thermostatic switch for the fan, it is controlled by the ZFE module and activated by a CANbus command in response to coolant temperature. If you have a GS911 you can command the fan on and see if it responds, or if you have no test equipment you could let the bike idle on the centerstand and check voltage at the fan connector. When the coolant gauge gets above the halfway mark you should see power to the fan. If power is there but no fan then you'll need to troubleshoot the fan motor. Other possibility is a bad ZFE module but that's pretty unlikely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had this problem before, took it to the dealer and was told the fan connector came off/loose, check that first

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
On top of the other suggestions, if it's starting to boil before the fan comes on:
- check the coolant antifreeze mix. 50/50 mix is supposed to raise the boil point to abt 106 degC even without the added pressurisation from the cap. If you're down on antifreeze in the coolant mix then you might be getting boiling before the design expects, possibly before the fan is set to trip-in too.
- same for the cap or other pressure leaks... the extra pressure raises the boil point as well

Sorry if I'm teaching anyone how to suck eggs here - but I've been caught out here by prematurely assuming electrical faults :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Gary,

This happened to my GT a couple of years ago. It turned out at there was a wire which was rubbing on the frame and was shorting out the fan. This could possibly be an easy fix for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts