BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help with '08 GT Final drive torque values

Hello All,

Just about completed the 600 mile final drive fluid change last night. Not too bad really. A drain hole at the bottom would be nice though. And the splines, it seems to me, were quite dry.

Anyway... I'm pretty ummm... particular about torque specs on the various fasteners. I found most of the specs elsewhere here in the forum.
My Maintenance CD is on back order. So, does anyone have these torque values handy?

1. Final drive drain plug/bolt

2. Muffler clamp ( by the o2 sensor)

3. Muffler hanger

And, while I've got you. Is there some sort of alignment guide for the muffler clamp?
I saw an arrow on the clamp last night as I hurriedly tried to beat the rain and nightfall here in Cleveland. I looked (quickly), didn't see a corresponding mark on the pipe.

Thanks
DMilan

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks...

Your post did have the drain plug torque, 20NM, so that helped.
And the tip about pushing the drive shaft forward to separate the spines is a great tip.
My splines were quite dry and did not separate easily. Your technique would have helped, if I'd have known it. Next time, if there is a next time.. but that's another story.

Still would like the 2 GT muffler torques.

It's all back together, been riding for some time now.

I got some final drive fluid on the rear rotor.

First time I hit the rear brake, SURPRISE... NO WANNA STOP.. Unless I crushed the pedal.

Immediately wiped it down with some solvent, rode it around the block, wiped it down again. Seems fine now.

DMilan

·
Registered
33 Posts
DMilan said:
Hello All,

Anyway... I'm pretty ummm... particular about torque specs on the various fasteners. I found most of the specs elsewhere here in the forum.
My Maintenance CD is on back order. So, does anyone have these torque values handy?

1. Final drive drain plug/bolt

2. Muffler clamp ( by the o2 sensor)

3. Muffler hanger

And, while I've got you. Is there some sort of alignment guide for the muffler clamp?
I saw an arrow on the clamp last night as I hurriedly tried to beat the rain and nightfall here in Cleveland. I looked (quickly), didn't see a corresponding mark on the pipe.

Thanks
DMilan
I'm pretty sure the clamp and hanger values are in the owner's manual under "tire changing"

The arrow is to point to the Lamba sensor.

Manual says "make sure the muffler is at least 15mm away from the wheel". (so the muffler doesn't melt your tire)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Milo said:
I'm pretty sure the clamp and hanger values are in the owner's manual under "tire changing"

The arrow is to point to the Lamba sensor.

Manual says "make sure the muffler is at least 15mm away from the wheel". (so the muffler doesn't melt your tire)

Milo, you are correct.
All info, including clamp arrow and torque specs are listed under "installing rear wheel".
Also under Technical Data... Threaded Fasteners

Muffler on passenger footrest - 16ft/lb (22nm)
Muffler on manifold - 26 ft/lb (35nm)

I was focused on the final drive oil change . Knew that they would not cover that procedure in the owner's manual.
Never thought about the muffler having to be removed for a simple tire/wheel change.
duh

Thanks
Dmilan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts