BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new GT Saturday. While caught in traffic on the way home the throttle "stuck" at about 2500 rpm. I had to blip the throttle a couple of times to get it to come down. Called the dealer yesterday to schedule the 600 mile service and told him about the throttle. Now I need a new "...air box." On the way home yesterday in DC traffic the throttle stuck probably 10 times. Has this happened to a lot of the new GTs?

·
Registered
118 Posts
GunnerT said:
Bought a new GT Saturday. While caught in traffic on the way home the throttle "stuck" at about 2500 rpm. I had to blip the throttle a couple of times to get it to come down. Called the dealer yesterday to schedule the 600 mile service and told him about the throttle. Now I need a new "...air box." On the way home yesterday in DC traffic the throttle stuck probably 10 times. Has this happened to a lot of the new GTs?
I have an '07 with over 10,000. Never had a problem with the throttle/high idle.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Seems to be fairly common problem for new as well as old. That's why the 3 year warranty is so good and, no doubt, factored into the bike's price. Mine did it after the first year and it hovered up to 3200 RPM. Hopefully, most dealers are onboard with the fix by now.

Get the airbox fixed and enjoy the bike as I do. :)

Mack

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome gunner!

Run a quick search for "BBS" and "high idle" and you'll see the extent of the problem. BBS is "Bucking Bronco Syndrome". It's most common in the GTs, but my K12R develped it pretty bad, mostly on hot days. Once it's fixed though, you'll love it. Make sure the mechanic doesn't pinch your fuel tank vent when they put it all back together. See LINK

Dave

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
It's a known issue on some GTs, with a known fix. They'll replace your airbox (which controls idle) and upgrade the software and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
31 Posts
2008 model's still have this issue? How long does it take BMW to work out simple issues like this out of their assembly line. I wonder if the 09's later this year will still have the same problems. :dunno:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Vega said:
2008 model's still have this issue? How long does it take BMW to work out simple issues like this out of their assembly line. I wonder if the 09's later this year will still have the same problems. :dunno:
Production for 08 models probably started last August, and my new airbox was one of the first in the US at the beginning of November. I'm guessing it would be cheaper to replace 60% of the airboxes on warranty than to delay delivery of 08s.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
howfly said:
Production for 08 models probably started last August, and my new airbox was one of the first in the US at the beginning of November. I'm guessing it would be cheaper to replace 60% of the airboxes on warranty than to delay delivery of 08s.
That's assuming that 60% of the riders know about the issue and ask for a fix. Remember, this is a Service Bulletin, not a Recall. I figure it's probably well under 10% myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts