BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an '08 R1200RT that I like but find the ride comfort too harsh (e.g., bumpy, bouncy) for comfortable 500 mile days (getting older - sad to say:). Just wondering if moving to a Next-Gen K1200GT would provide me with a more comfortable ride for long days in the saddle? Any thoughts are appreciated. Jerry.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ummmm, if comfort is your only issue wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to just get some good shocks and/or maybe a seat?

·
Registered
677 Posts
No, I don't think a GT will be more comfortable. It will be faster though, so you might be in pain for less time :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Did not the 08 RT have the ESA suspension
check the setting it could be on sport and two up
toggle through with the esa button on the left grip 9 permutations of suspension settings

·
Registered
260 Posts
Dimond said:
Have an '08 R1200RT that I like but find the ride comfort too harsh (e.g., bumpy, bouncy) for comfortable 500 mile days (getting older - sad to say:). Just wondering if moving to a Next-Gen K1200GT would provide me with a more comfortable ride for long days in the saddle? Any thoughts are appreciated. Jerry.

I'll give ya my .02 worth

Some background. I'm 59, and I've owned too many bikes in the last 15 years.
Many BMWS in the lot, love the features, gadgets and gizmos.
Sounds like a Motorcycles Anonymous opening....

2 R1200RTs, an '05 and an '07, and a 2002 R1150RT
4 K1200 GTs, an '03, an '04 and 2 2008.
After my experience with the first '08 GT, why I bought the 2nd 2008 GT is a mystery in my own mind.

Anyway, The bike are sort of similar in that they weigh nearly the same, both have mono-shock front suspension and paralever rear suspension. That being said, I considered the RTs that I owned to be slightly less harsh that the GTs. The GTs both had ESA the RTs did not.

As someone has already mentioned did you check your suspension settings? ESA or not it's a good place to start.

I met a old guy outside a local Harley Dealership. He was getting on his K1300 GT and getting ready to depart. We got to talking. Said the bike rode sorta hard. Turns out, he had NO idea about the ESA settings on his bike. He was skinny, maybe 150 lbs. His ESA pre-load was set on rider + luggage, his damping was set on SPORT. I'm not kidding.

How bout your tire pressures? I just got my GT back from dealer service. They set pressures at 40 / 42. Way too high for me. I could feel it immediately. I'm more of a 36 / 40 guy.

I'll also add that the 2008 GTs have been disappointing to me in their build quality.
Fussy problematic clutches, transmissions, ABS issues, fueling issues, buzzy engine characteristics in certain RPM ranges..

Also keep in mind that the RT offers a more upright seating posture than the GT

You mentioned 500 mile days. For me 500 miles days would be long if I were in the passenger seat of a Lexus 500 LS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts