BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The end of the ecu replacement is drawing near. I don't drive the bike everyday so it tends to be weekend to weekend. Sat was cold and it took 3 starts to get her going and then off I went after letting her warm up a bit.
Unfortunately for testing purposes, the weather has been nice, with nothing below 30 except for the cold Sat mentioned before.
This same problem occured back in the beginning of Oct when I spent cold weekend in Pa. and took 3 - 4 starts each morning to get her running.
I wish I had a few more cold days to experiment with the bike.
If I bring the bike to the dealer after 12/1 and I'm under warranty, will they still replace the ecu?
My bike was made on 05/04 so its 1 month after bmw recognised a problem and corrected it.
The dealers pitch is that its the date (04/04) and that they would have to check thre bike out.
I called bmw customer support and said to talk to the dealer so I'm going to bring the bike down today. I wonder if there really is a problem or that the bike is just quirky on cold days when I don't run it every day.
Or will they do whatever they can to not replace it?
Maybe if I ran the bike everyday it would fire up 1st time everytime.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

John

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi John I had a minor cold start issue:it would start right up but would not move off right away,cold engine stall.I called my dealer and they did the replacement,no argument,no question.It doesn't seem that BMW is trying to avoid it...

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
ecu

My 04 built 06/04 stats right up never needed another try even in 20's, I would have your ECU changed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm taking the bike to the dealer this afternoon and will have them look at it. They unfortunately don't sound real enthused about changing the ecu. But they are going to look at it. Best case scenario is they I get the chip. Next best case is they don't gum anything up and I am only inconvienienced by having to arrange for a ride home. Worse case is they mess with some setting. They seem like a smart bunch. The only thing I ever gripped to them about, and bmw for that matter was the 00' r1150rs with 36k that developed a surging problem about 2 k after its last tune up. They did everything and still it surged. They said it wasn't happening. That was one of the reasons for the buying the new K.

John

·
Registered
213 Posts
I took my 2003 K1200GT into the dealer (BMW of North Houston) for its 12K service and a fresh set of Michelin Pilot Roads. I asked the Service Manager to check it for cold start problems - it started fine, but I had to manually diddle the throttle for 2-3 minutes before it would idle on its own.

When I picked up the bike, it had a new ECU in it under warranty. I was somewhat surprised since I'm the 2nd owner of the bike and (this being a new dealership - opened earlier in 2005) the bike wasn't purchased there.

Rusty

·
Registered
418 Posts
jChevy04k1200rs said:
I'm taking the bike to the dealer this afternoon and will have them look at it. They unfortunately don't sound real enthused about changing the ecu. But they are going to look at it. Best case scenario is they I get the chip. Next best case is they don't gum anything up and I am only inconvienienced by having to arrange for a ride home. Worse case is they mess with some setting. They seem like a smart bunch. The only thing I ever gripped to them about, and bmw for that matter was the 00' r1150rs with 36k that developed a surging problem about 2 k after its last tune up. They did everything and still it surged. They said it wasn't happening. That was one of the reasons for the buying the new K.

John

This is a factory replacement.No cost to the dealer.They get paid to do it.There should not be an issue,in my experience.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey jgr451,

I noticed that you're from Canada and, although hard to tell these days, assume the wet coast translates to the west coast. Does your experience include having an ECU replaced? Just asking because I got a song and dance about how; its normal, the bike just needs a little tune-up, ECU replacements only apply to US bikes. If you did, what dealer did you use?

·
Registered
227 Posts
jChevy04k1200rs said:
The end of the ecu replacement is drawing near. I don't drive the bike everyday so it tends to be weekend to weekend. Sat was cold and it took 3 starts to get her going and then off I went after letting her warm up a bit.

John

John,

How did it go at the dealer? The ECU symptoms are engine temperature related, not ambient temperature. My RS would hesitate and stumble in 90 degree days when first started cold.

Ron

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ron,
Droped the bike off 2 hours ago and its like; "we'll look at it". The guy who runs the service group was out so I'll hold my breath. I'm hoping they just do the swap as I"ve been a good customer. I looked at the foracast and there isn't any cold weather for another week and then I still don't see cold. Whats interesting here on the post's is that some members describe cold starts even in 90 deg. weather with stalls and bad starts. Others describe the problem only in "cold" weather which is my problem. When I think about it I could live with the bike having 3 or 4 starts in real cold weather. Hech my '00 r1150rs started like hell in real cold weather. Thank goodness I still have my '95 airhead that starts in any kind of weather as a backup. Anyway I'll keep u posted as it may take a few days for them to at best swap out the chip and or hang on to it to trouble shoot.

Thanks again for this board and all the info

John

·
Registered
227 Posts
jChevy04k1200rs said:
Ron,
Droped the bike off 2 hours ago and its like; "we'll look at it". The guy who runs the service group was out so I'll hold my breath. I'm hoping they just do the swap as I"ve been a good customer. I looked at the foracast and there isn't any cold weather for another week and then I still don't see cold. Whats interesting here on the post's is that some members describe cold starts even in 90 deg. weather with stalls and bad starts. Others describe the problem only in "cold" weather which is my problem. When I think about it I could live with the bike having 3 or 4 starts in real cold weather. Hech my '00 r1150rs started like hell in real cold weather. Thank goodness I still have my '95 airhead that starts in any kind of weather as a backup. Anyway I'll keep u posted as it may take a few days for them to at best swap out the chip and or hang on to it to trouble shoot.

Thanks again for this board and all the info

John
John,

They had to order the chip when they did mine, I guess it makes sence that it's not a stock item. My dealer looked at mine and agreed it needed the change.

Ron

·
Registered
402 Posts
jChevy04k1200rs said:
Ron,
When I think about it I could live with the bike having 3 or 4 starts in real cold weather.
John
John, you shouldn't have to accept the bike dying and you having to do 3 or 4 starts to get it going, even in cold weather. That's not normal, and it should be fixed whether or not they replace the ECU.

Even in cold weather, it should start right up on the first try and go to a fast idle, then gradually drop RPMs as it warms up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just had mine replaced yesterday

I just took in my 2003 K1200RS in for its 12K service, tires, and ECU replacement at Chicago BMW. Great service by the way, 1 day turn around, and a very reasonable cost. Anyway, if your bike, as confirmed by VIN/manufacture date, meets the specs of the affected units it should be replaced no questions asked. The dealership/service dept gets paid for the ECU AND labor by BMW.
I took a print out of the service bulletin, but it wasn't needed at Chicago BMW. If your bike meets the spec TAKE IT IN NOW. This deal ends at the end of the year. Here is a link to the VIN decoder, enter your VIN to see the manufacture date.
http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

"(Service Bulletin 13 00204 057 covers affected 03/04 K1200RS/GT models. Per BMW:
If the owner complains that their bike resists throttle input during cold start or warmup then exchange the ECU. 2003/2004 K1200RS or GT models produced up to and including April 4,2004 may be affected. (Properly maintained factory stock machines that exhibit the symptoms during cold startup or during initial warmup may qualify for the new ECU. The exchanged ECU is not a performance upgrade but a genuine stock replacement ECU for these affected models. The replacement part will be available for exchange under warranty until the end of 2005. If your stock K bike exhibits the mentioned problems and it has been properly maintained yet the dealer denies that there is a service campaign for affected bikes contact BMW at: [email protected] or call 800-831-1117."

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No ECU swap cuz there's no problem !

Well that was a waste of everyones time. Me dropping the bike off. My wife having to come and pick me up. A guy at the dealership having to listen to me describe the problem and transcribe what I said into a 1 sentence description on the work order. The mechanic the next day having to turn the key on the bike and then depress the starter button after having the bike sit in the showroom all night and having the bike start right up. No problem at all was the determination. Oh I forgot to mention that they did spend about 5 mins this morning going over the observation with me. I reiterated that the bike on 4 seperate occasions when it was cold (30 deg) took 4 tries to get it started. No luck. Bike started fine after spending night in showroom. Everythings just fine. The bike as mentioned before was made in 05 of 04 so its doesn't have the bad chip , but the new one. I guess I was just over reacting to a quirk that my bike must have when its cold. Thats my words not theres. So there it is. I was real disapointted and real pissed, but since the dealer is 7 miles from my house and I can still remember when the closest dealer was 40 miles away, well I thanked them for their time and hung up the phone. Heck, its just like when I had the surging problem on the '00 r1150rs that developed about 1000 miles after its annual tune up. Oh well. The bike had 36k on it and it was time to develope a problem that was not a problem. Paid to have them retune the bike with the same results. I was nice about that one to. The K runs like a champ and its still the best bike in the world in my book. Most likely the chip in it is a o k. I just figured that if its a 1 hr job and the chip wasn't an out of pocket expense that they could make good pn the swap. I guess not. The dealer said its not an ambient temp thing but a cold just starting engine thing. There you have it. Hey there the pros. Thanks for everyones help. Next time look for me 40 miles down the road.

John C

·
Registered
418 Posts
Shaun said:
Hey jgr451,

I noticed that you're from Canada and, although hard to tell these days, assume the wet coast translates to the west coast. Does your experience include having an ECU replaced? Just asking because I got a song and dance about how; its normal, the bike just needs a little tune-up, ECU replacements only apply to US bikes. If you did, what dealer did you use?

Hi Shaun,yes I am on the West Coast.I had the ECU changed,no song and dance,by Pacific Yamaha BMW.04 GT .Ibought it there.Hope that helps.

Are you a member of Beeceebeemers?Time we darksiders took over.I am planning to go to the rally in nakusp,just for fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts