BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

This is my first post here and hope you can help.
Recently bought a K1200GT 04 ( my first bike in 12 yrs and first BMW )

I thought I would replace the brake fluid but am not used to ABS etc.
see below for more facts but the basics are.
When I pull the brake lever ( front or back ) I hear what sounds like a motor whirring away in the ABS unit. (The noise you hear when the ignition is turned on.)
This continues to whir away all the time the brake is pulled and only goes off when released.
When the engine is running it is the same, and loud enough to hear. But I cannot hear it with the engine running and helmet on.

IS this NORMAL. I don't recall hearing this before but as I said I wasn't looking out for it.
Or could there be air in the ABS unit.
Reservoir did run dry. :dunno:

Breaks seem to work fine and no lights on.

Break bleed did go a little wrong.
I started with the front L/h caliper and started bleeding.
Had some dramas but eventually realized that it works better with the ignition on

Anyway I inadvertently drained the reservoir under the seat. ( don't know how much it drained from the lines though. )
Once I realized this I filled it up and pulled fluid through on both calipers until all air had gone and the fluid was solid.
Have I pulled enough through is the question or could there now be air in the ABS unit.

Many Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Yes the "motor"noise is normal, what you hear is the servos, BMW's idea of "Power Brakes."

However I hope you are not trying any Brake Bleeding procedures without a shop manual or a good set of instructions....pretty complicated system, as is the whole bike, you do not want to work blind or use standard motorcycles procedures that might not apply here, after all it is a BMW.....! :teeth

If you have any doubts as to how old the fluid is, you should do the whole ABS bleed, but be ready for a full day work the first time!

I'm sending you a PM with a couple links..... :thumb:

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
xd9000 said:
Hi All
Anyway I inadvertently drained the reservoir under the seat. ( don't know how much it drained from the lines though. )
Once I realized this I filled it up and pulled fluid through on both calipers until all air had gone and the fluid was solid.
Have I pulled enough through is the question or could there now be air in the ABS unit.

Many Thanks
Mike
Try this link from the Hall of Wisdom

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys

I remember seeing a pic of the special tool required for the ABS unit on a site recently.
anyone know where it is.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The special tool, I made one out of an old 1/4" socket, don't remember the size, but welded a handle on it and stuck some tubing into the square end to evacuate the fluid. You only need it for a couple of the bleeders. If I remember correctly the other ones are reachable with regular tools. I'd send you a pic, but not home for another 2 weeks. :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts