BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this ebay item - it promises to use the USB port on the Nuvi to power the GPS without the GPS going out to lunch. This way you could use one of the cheap ram-mount cradles for your Nuvi and still get power to the GPS. (My Nuvi 755T gets power through the Garmin cradle, so if you buy the ram-mount cradle your only option for power is to use the battery internal to the GPS). When you plug a normal USB cable into my GPS, it goes into a mode where it's trying to sync up to a PC - which is no good if you want it to act like a GPS...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Part-010-10477-03-010-10747-03-for-Garmin-Nuvi-GPS_W0QQitemZ310127824047QQcategoryZ73350QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3907.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo=SIC&itu=UCI%2BIA%2BUA%2BFICS%2BUFI%2BDDSIC&otn=20&po=LVI&ps=63

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not sure what Nuvi you have, but the 760 I use - the Rammount for this unit uses the power cradle, I have an extra 12v adapter I use to a switched relay. The only pain is when I take it off, it is a little tough to get the power plug back in, but I don't think it has taken me more than 10 seconds worst case. My cradle was just over $8 RAM Mount Garmin nuvi 7xx Series Cradle - if that ain't cheap, :crazy:

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
Yes, this isexactly how it supposed to work. The USB cable from the 12 volt plug only has voltage running to it.If you plugged your Buvi to your computer, it will also draw power and keep the Nuvi on. But the connector to your computer also has wires that connect the Nuvi to do data transfer also.I power my Nuvi 360 from a similar setup on my bike. See Pirates Toutatech mount, my bike's Nuvi is shown..
On my new bike, I use a Zumo that has a different setup for power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts