BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd tried to reach those 152hp several times on 3rd gear but ran out of road, so the other day I decided to try it again but this time on 2nd gear. I new I had to reach 9500 to get to those beasts and when I finally reached close to 10000 decided to look on the left side and see what speed I was going at. To my surprise I saw I was close to 170km/h
Nice I said, and went on 3rd, 4th and 5th slowing down at the same time.
Excited and happy I was that I could say "hi" to those dormant 152 horses!

·
Registered
337 Posts
So which gear are you in at about 10K RPM and a speed of 250KPH? With my VFR it was top of 5th, shifting into 6th but it didn't have much pull at that time. And of course, where do you hit the "magic" 300KPH?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kmph or mph

BCDon said:
So which gear are you in at about 10K RPM and a speed of 250KPH? With my VFR it was top of 5th, shifting into 6th but it didn't have much pull at that time. And of course, where do you hit the "magic" 300KPH?
Sory, I think you missunderstood, I said kmph not mph.
I don't think I will ever have the option to max speed my GT. Here in Costa Rica, we don't have that kind of roads.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
ALL the ponies...

I've experienced:
  • 202.8 km/H in 4th gear at redline. :teeth
  • 252.7 km/H in 6th gear pretty close to redline. :yeah
Max speed is supposed to be 251 km/H, and according to my GPS I topped that by a hair. I really think it wanted to go faster. We'll see what happens in '07, and I travel in more desolate regions for long distances. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Why is someone from Cleveland giving top speeds in kilometers per hour? Tell us fellow Americans what 252.7 kph translates to in God's standard?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm not sure what gear I was in, but this is my best:

No photo-shop. No my Quest hasn't been on a plane. This is what it recorded on a trip(a lot of around town miles mixed in now). This is the second time I've seen a bogus reading, on two different GPS units. The last time was only in the 170's, this one is a bit hard to pass as accurate :) Not sure I trust a GPS for speed readings.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Bogus max speed readings usually occur when a GPS looses it's reception for a moment, then regains reception.

When I did 157, I watched it climb to that speed and fall back down. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
messenger13 said:
Bogus max speed readings usually occur when a GPS looses it's reception for a moment, then regains reception.

When I did 157, I watched it climb to that speed and fall back down. :)
That was my guess, but it's still a fun max to share. I do trust a GPS for instantaneous speed, but I've seen a lot of people post pictures of max, and claim accuracy. So, I'm just posting my max to claim victory!!! Beat it, I dare you!

And, next time you do 157, keep your damn eyes on the road!!!!! :) Nut case! My spine turns yellow when the needle says 140. Partly fear of the speed, but mostly fear of the ticket. That's why I sold my Busa after a couple years, it was a waste under me. I went lighter and quicker(954), more my thing.

·
Registered
279 Posts
messenger13 said:
I've never denied that claim. ;)
Er, well, we all knew that !!! :dance:
And hey, wackjob, when you get close to Salt Lake this summer for your ride, call me.
I'll drive the 4 hrs. down there to buy you dinner.
:yeah

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that's....

messenger13 said:
I've experienced:
  • 202.8 km/H in 4th gear at redline. :teeth
  • 252.7 km/H in 6th gear pretty close to redline. :yeah
Max speed is supposed to be 251 km/H, and according to my GPS I topped that by a hair. I really think it wanted to go faster. We'll see what happens in '07, and I travel in more desolate regions for long distances. :)
Amazing!
:)
Be careful!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I did 144 on the gps last year when we were down in north GA. I didn't even known until later that night how fast I went. But I tell you one thing the bike was rock solid with little or no front end floating.

·
Registered
63 Posts
251 kph being the supposed top speed. I thought it would do a bit more than that with 150+ hp. After having hotted up GSXRs which would do 300KPH+ I was hoping the GT might at least get to 270 or so. No I dont do this down busy roads, but where I used to ride there were no speed limits on open road, plenty of visibility, great roads etc.
Has anyone had a new GT topped out with no panniers, short windscreen adjusted down etc?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
speed

cr500 said:
251 kph being the supposed top speed. I thought it would do a bit more than that with 150+ hp. After having hotted up GSXRs which would do 300KPH+ I was hoping the GT might at least get to 270 or so. No I dont do this down busy roads, but where I used to ride there were no speed limits on open road, plenty of visibility, great roads etc.
Has anyone had a new GT topped out with no panniers, short windscreen adjusted down etc?
I'm not expert but think that our GT is very heavy to go 270. Hope it does though, so let us know if you reach more than 251.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe that weight has nothing to do with top speed. It's aerodynamics/power.

Weight determines how quickly you'll get to top speed. FWIW :)

Dave

·
Registered
498 Posts
rider said:
I believe that weight has nothing to do with top speed. It's aerodynamics/power.

Weight determines how quickly you'll get to top speed. FWIW :)

Dave
Weight does matter... :stir:

And with a little help (from a hill): 259 seemed to be right at redline. With bags on (I have the large AWACS top case) I seem to remember around 235ish.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts