BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1985 K100 has developed an electrical problem. When I turn the key from off to the run position, the instrument panel quits working and the clock goes blank. Nothing happens at all when I press the starter button as well. This all begins when I turn the key on.

I tried charging the battery and also had it load tested which checks out fine. I removed the grounds on the engine, cleaned them, and re-terminated them with still the same result. When I pull the top fuse and turn the key to run, the clock remains on but the starter button still doesn't work.

Any help as to where I can check next?

·
Registered
157 Posts
How many miles does it have? I assume you've checked the fuses. You may want to pull out the starter and give it a good cleaning and check the brushes. The starter grounds a lot of the electronics on the bike and makes it do strange things when its gets dirty. Mine just recently ceased functioning and a good cleaning and changing the brushes brought it back to life. Its worth a look and is a fairly simple job.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ackgs said:
Problem in the ignition switch perhaps? Sounds like when you turn the switch nothing is coming on, maybe check that or the connections from the switch.

I would second the ignition switch, mine was finicky until I cleaned it out, sometimes even cutting power of to the bike while cruising!

If you get the bike running in neutral on a stand, jiggle the key without moving its position and see if the bike dies out.

I found an excellent pictorial walk through but google isin't finding it. I will look to see if it's bookmarked when I get home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the great input! All of the posts seem to be general maintenance issues that need to be addressed.

The end result was a trickle charger will not overcome the internal resistance of a dead flat battery. I placed a regular battery charger on it for two hours and heard that happy sound when the start button was depressed. Once again, the blue brick flies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts