BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've got a 86 K75 I'm trying to revive, the tank was left unattended for who knows how long. fuel pump purged and fuel sending unit with float arm was left exposed to the elements. there appears to be a build up of crud/rust? on the unit itself. Is there anyway to salvage this part? soak it in something? fuel? or is it replace only? i don't know how sensitive that rheostat is to certain solutions. any thoughts? if replace, anyone got one (and a fuel pump)?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
No pic??? You may be able to use a good rust converter once you have removed the crud and whatever flakes off.

I converted some rust recently with a tannic acid based converter, that's the milky looking ones not to be confused with the phosphoric acid based, them are usually clear.

Anyway dipped the parts in gasoline and left them for days, no visible degradation of the coating. Looks like some have even used them inside rusty tanks with success. I am trying to convince my friend to do so on a CT90....we shall see he is older than me and just about as stubborn. :rotf:

Brand name...there are a few but not at CT. Here is one....you'll get the idea.

http://www.amos-sg.com/activities3.htm

This one???, that's what I have here:

http://www.corroseal.com/distributors/canada.aspx

Fuel pump....google that, you can use a cheap one from autoparts stores. Ford Mustang comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Ouch...looks like it has been to sea. :teeth I'd follow directions, probably on their website. Wire brush and the Dremel for the nooks. Works better if there is some rust left to convert but nothing loose or flaky.

I'd test it first to make sure it works, no point investing time/money on a bad part. Connect Ohmeter at the terminals, play with the float, readings should change. At least they did on my bushcar and read 0 with the float up.

Wear gloves with the Corroseal, stuff isn't harmful but sure will stain your hands and may take a few days to come off. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts