BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again group :)

Well, I took my bike in for its first rego inspection after importing it into Australia from the US. It passed everything except the headlight low-beam dip. It's asymmetrical you see, so that it dips lower on the left, so as not to dazzle on-coming traffic in the US. In Australia the oncoming traffic is on the right, so the inspectors didn't like that.

On the headlight lens is an asymmetrical pattern mimicking where the dip should be, but in reverse (I presume because of reflection from the shiny surround of the headlight). The inspector suggested that the lens should be replaced.

I bought a second hand one from the local wrecker, and sure enough, the pattern on the lens is the opposite to that originally fitted for the US.

After spending a few hours taking off the entire fairing to get at the headlamp lens retaining clips (is there a quicker way?) I replaced the original and took it back for re-inspection. The low dip remained on the left, exactly as it had been with the original lens.

So, there must be something else causing the asymmetric dip. Does anyone know what it is? Also, assuming I rectify whatever that thing is, will I be able to put the original lens back on and take the second hand one I bought back for a refund (ie will the opposite dip work with the original lens)?

Thanks in advance,
ricketyclik

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
M_T_A said:
Find another inspection location. This sounds to be a matter of opinion, not Aussie law.
In the ACT, an import must be inspected at the Govt Inspection service.

Also, I'm not that keen on dazzling on-coming traffic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone suggested to me that it may be the orientation of the bulb, but I don't think so, as it was symmetrically oriented.

I ended up replacing the whole unit. Anyone want to buy a fully functional K100RT (fits RS and 75's too I believe) headlamp suitable for right-side driving? Shipping would be from Australia.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts