BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my bike 6 days ago ,and when not riding I have been reading the manuals and internet . It seems a low battery can cause the starter to keep cranking over even after the key is turned off. They said the only thing to do is disconnect the ground cable at the transmission. Is there a sure way to avoid this ? What about installing a cut out switch on line in the ground cable? Has anyone found a preventative for this happening ? I know it isn't supposed to happen with a fully charged battery, but batteries get old , and the way I find out is when my vehicles don't start .

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
792 Posts
Owning a motorcycle that has a starter relay that can weld its starter relay requires you to be on top of your battery maintenance. Keep a motorcycle smart charger attached to your battery when the bike is not in use. Check your battery capacity once and a while with a volt meter reading while cranking the starter. Should never go below 10 volts. (maybe 9.7). If your relay has ever stuck, the contacts are really messed up and you need a new relay. Smart charger= a good one not some econo 20$ beauty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts