BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 k1200rs with 122,000 miles on it,original owner. Took it for a couple of rides after winter storage
and it rode fine. Yesterday I went about 5 miles and the engine started missing and making "banging noises".
The tack also stopped working. Limped the 5 miles back home and the exhaust was cherry red inside. It
was so hot it discolored the pipe. If I would of had my bags on, they would have melted. The temp gauge was fine
and the bike still starts, but doesn't idle so good. Any ideas? I think this may not be worth the fix. Thanks

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
587 Posts
Sure sounds like your ignition sensor wiring has shorted out. Take a look at Hall Effect wiring in posts . Older bikes the insulation fails and needs repair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Beech, That would make the inside of the exhaust to glow cherry red? I mean, that was Hot!

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
587 Posts
Miss firing raw gas etc. If you look around there are ways to renew the insulation or add fresh wire. and How to mark it to keep the timing good. A common problem. There is a advanced search function in the far right menu bar three dots. I'm hoping some others will chip in with conformation or totally other thoughts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Check that you have spark on all 4 cylinders with spark tester. I just had that on my 1999 K120rs. Bought another exhaust even!!

Come to find out that Pin #37 was corroded on ECU and ground to coil for cylinder 2 and 3 not getting signal to 2 and 3 plugs.

Had to clean pin and lube good with OXGARD.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check that you have spark on all 4 cylinders with spark tester. I just had that on my 1999 K120rs. Bought another exhaust even!!

Come to find out that Pin #37 was corroded on ECU and ground to coil for cylinder 2 and 3 not getting signal to 2 and 3 plugs.

Had to clean pin and lube good with OXGARD.
Thanks Dan, It definitely isn't getting spark. You can smell the gas as it turns over. Everything is just so hard to get to on this bike!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts