BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Ok new test today that I believe is more inline (accurate?) with these new QD's and the set up.

Gauge started out reading at Zero PSI in the system.
6 Seconds after turning on key switch - Gauge read 44 PSI.
Gauge dropped to 40 PSI within 10 minutes with key in "ON" position.
Shut key off.
Gauge dropped to 39 PSI after another 10 minutes
Came back after 2 hours and gauge read 36 PSI.
Now some 5 hours later gauge reads 22 PSI.

Did not "run" testing this time.

I guess I'll go inside tank again and pull out the pump and check it out closely.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Are you saying the pump ran for 6 seconds til it pressurized up to 44? It shouldn't do that,max 2 seconds and pressure up to +50.
Unless you have the same problem I encountered (and fixed)a couple weeks ago.I'll wait for an answer to my question.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
No, I'm following Sailor's instructions so I didn't take the reading until after I "waited" 6 seconds. It primed right away but only to 44 PSI.

Took more reading today.

Overnight gauge did not drop to zero and still read 15 PSI
Turned on key and gauge read 46 PSI
Dropped to 44 PSI right away (within 6 seconds)
Dropped to 43 within the next 20 seconds
Dropped to 41 PSI after 2 minutes
Dropped to 41 PSI after 10 minutes
Shut key off at 10 minutes and gauge held at 41 PSI
Dropped to 40 PSI after 40 minutes
Dropped to 31 PSI some 4 hours later.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I think the fuel pump is dying.Altough not tested on a K a R1200GS runs like crap at ~46psi fuel pressure from in that case a defective fuel pressure regulator.

One way to somehow test the pump is to disconnect the return line ,flick ignition on/off and deadhead the pressure against the gauge.~85psi.

Also....I just replaced my 02 sensor.That wasn't my only problem but them misses at 3500-4000 altough maybe not as pronounced as yours are a sure sign of defective O2.Now back to a BrapBrapBrap sounding engine at 4000rpm instead of the BrapatateBrapatateBrapatate and also slight surging at low speeds I was noticing.

The real problem with my bike was the pump staying on instead of just priming.Intermitently too.....turned out the Motronic relay was the cause.

Fuel pump relay....Motronic relay....Horn etc are all the same so if you suspect one replace with the horn relay.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts