BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has 9000 miles and is just 2 yrs old( purchased April 09). Last week, the battery died while idling and had to bump start it twice to get home. I had Purchased an Odyssey and it was in my garage. Changed out the batteries. The Odyssey started up , without any additional charging.

All is good.

BMW batteries are getting worse each year ( Exide) a real POS. I used to put the Odyssey in after 3 winters, but I guess this is not valid anymore.

BTW, to fit the Odyssey, I put in a small piece of wood in the battery compartment to raise the height. I also put in a plastic piece to fill in the side, so the battery is tight in the compartment. A little plier pressure on the hold down bracket and now everything fits well.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
I went with the Odyssey years ago and haven't had any battery troubles since. I got the MJ version, as I figured the battery sits right above the engine and so it couldn't hurt.

I like that it's slightly shorter, as it allowed me room to put a fuse block on top of the battery, where it has easy access. Two screws and I'm there if I need to get to it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My "POS" stock battery from 10/2005 is still in the bike. :dunno: It doesn't sit long which I think is key to a long battery life.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sharkbait said:
My "POS" stock battery from 10/2005 is still in the bike. :dunno: It doesn't sit long which I think is key to a long battery life.
Mine since 12/06, bike was in the crate and then assembled when I bought it at the after Christmas sale. (that's what I told my wife she's a believer in sales).

If the bike is going to set for more than 24 hours, on goes the trickle/floating charger.
Here in Michigan it's every November to March with a rare ride day.

It will either be the Odyssey or the Shorai lithium when it dies

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sharkbait said:
hmmmmm, I doubt yours gets ridden as much as mine USED to... I went through about a battery every 1.5 years! Drove me nuts as I'm on my second on the "spare" bike, a 2000 RT.

I think the OEM batt. is junk PLUS the charging system is not up to the task of charging a 2.3 million dollar battery... (Your dealer's price may vary.)

The Odyssey rocks!

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
The key to good battery life is to keep it tendered 24/7 so it is always on top charge and warm in Winter. A tender like my cheapo Oxford only puts out 1/4 amp and inside there is no microcomputer or rocket science engineering. I've got 5 years from a stock lead acid. The only reason I went to Odyssey was to stop the ABS lights flashing after Winter morning cold starts.

I don't think brand, whether BMW or not, makes that much difference. The issue with motorcycle batteries is they are comparatively small requiring similar cranking currents to cars, but bikes are rarely used daily thus keeping the battery charge up. Being small and compact they are easily abused by long cranking when partially discharged.

I would agree that lithium Ion offers a superior battery technology, the biggest advantage being they have a low self discharge rate and are lighter. But bikes have clocks so there will still be some flattening when the bike is not used. I don't know how these work with conventional alternator chargers, as lithium ion has different charging characteristics to lead acid.

I would certainly consider one and it should be a strong competitor for the Odyssey. But battery life will still go down if these are allowed to go low charge and then used for cranking.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
300 Posts
My stocker lasted 1 1/2 years and the new BMW battery has a 2 year warrenty. Sooner or later I will have to go after market for a battery.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I stll have the oem battery in my 2008 kgt. The only time it left me stranded was when I wired a test for a fog light assly that I forgot to turn off. A robust push from a couple of friend started the beast and all was ok. .

I run a lot of electrics as some of you must do, my electric vest, PIAA fog lights, a set of LED lights, the grips, the seat, the gps. Only sign showing its age is when in slow moving traffic not overhating but fans working all the times, I stalled the engine and it refused to turn. I wait about 2 minutes then it starts. It happened a few times. It may be related to tighter engine tolerances because of the hot running conditions or simply the battery.

In any case I was planning a replacment wihth the odyssey, but I'll see how I can get a LiFeO type battery to my location in Canada.

·
Registered
461 Posts
BeniciaRT said:
hmmmmm, I doubt yours gets ridden as much as mine USED to... I went through about a battery every 1.5 years! Drove me nuts as I'm on my second on the "spare" bike, a 2000 RT.

I think the OEM batt. is junk PLUS the charging system is not up to the task of charging a 2.3 million dollar battery... (Your dealer's price may vary.)

The Odyssey rocks!
Just noticed this was the GT forum. You guys use a different battery than the KR, perhaps the stock "GT" battery's are crap. Carry on. :teeth

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
My bike is an 07 built in 07, bought new 8/2008. This year the orig battery just was sort of cranking the engine a tad slow, so was going to get a new battery. Talked to the dealer about getting one and they were really fast about getting me a new battery under warranty, gotta love Mischlers in Beaver Dam WI! NO idea they could do that.

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GillyWI said:
My bike is an 07 built in 07, bought new 8/2008. This year the orig battery just was sort of cranking the engine a tad slow, so was going to get a new battery. Talked to the dealer about getting one and they were really fast about getting me a new battery under warranty, gotta love Mischlers in Beaver Dam WI! NO idea they could do that.
GillyWI:
I was going to ask my dealer for a replacement under warranty or whatever he can do, BUT, from experience, the Odyssey ( I also had put one in my 2006GT at 3 years) is so much better and stronger than the OEM. I did a full load test after making sure the old battery was fully charged, and it had already lost a lot of its capacity. I need my battery to work at its best. The Odyssey just keeps its charge longer and always instantly starts the bike( no lag or slowness)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I was going to weigh the cost factors and decide whether to put in an Odyssey or not. A freebie I will take! Better/stronger is overrated, if the bike starts it meets my minimum standards, I don't get off on hearing a nice healthy starter........

·
Registered
752 Posts
Personally I have always gotten good service out of the Universal Battery UB12220 in both my RT and GT, at less than half the price of the Odyssey. I've used the Odyssey in the past and it's a good product, but IMO its high price makes it not very cost-effective.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
In my opinion, the cost of a battery is almost irrelevant. All it takes is to get stranded once, even close to home. The hassles, frustration, and lost time associated with getting stranded obviate any savings from buying a cheaper battery, or running any battery past the time you should replace it.

Think about the risks of leaving your bike parked overnight, or having it towed, or personal safety at night, or when shops are closed so you can't buy a replacement battery, or getting a spouse or friend to fetch stuff for you, or burning out your ECM by trying to jump start your bike, or trying to push start your bike by yourself, or ...

It ain't worth it to me. Divide the cost of a battery by the number of years you plan to use it before giving it a proper mandatory retirement.

You don't run every tank dry until you get stranded, and then try to work out how to bring fuel to your bike, do you? Why would you do the same with a battery? Plan ahead to replace the battery before it is "dry", too.

·
Registered
752 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
In my opinion, the cost of a battery is almost irrelevant. All it takes is to get stranded once, even close to home. The hassles, frustration, and lost time associated with getting stranded obviate any savings from buying a cheaper battery, or running any battery past the time you should replace it.
I couldn't agree more, that's why I use the UB12220. I can replace it at double the interval (even though I don't have to as I seem to get nearly the same life out of them as an Odyssey) and still be ahead of the game in terms of cost and reliability. There is nothing more important regarding automotive battery reliability than age and the safest thing to do if you never want to take a chance of being stranded is preemptively replace the battery every three years or so, and over this interval there is no reliability difference that I have ever been able to determine between the Odyssey and anything else. And even if the Odyssey has the potential to last longer there is no point to testing that theory in the real world because if you push it all you are doing is risking a failure when you could have a brand new battery in there for less money, and that doesn't make sense if reliability is your main concern. Again, the Odyssey is a great battery but at its pricing level it just doesn't prove out in terms of cost or reliability, or that's just the way it's been in my experience.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Price of the Odyssey PC680MJ is $139 on Amazon now. Price of the BMW one is $180. Big difference for them using such a short-life cheap @zz battery.

Might have something to do with their metal jacket too. The Odyssey operating temperature range: -40°C (-40°F) to 45°C (113°F) w/o a metal jacket; and -40°C (-40°F) to 80°C (176°F) with a metal jacket according to their info PDF's. Quite a difference in operating range. The metal jacketed ones were spec'd for the military desert operations. Where I live, I've seen 113 easily in summer and may as well be a desert with this summer's $350 A/C bills whereas the natural gas is only $8 (stove and water heater.). I doubt if the battery sitting "under-the-plastic wraps" on the GT's temperature is lower than 113°F. I noted the Prius car hybrid 210 volt battery is in the A/C car interior under back seat, and even is vented for heat via duct-work to keep it cool It has a claimed 10 year free replacement, or so Toyota claims. "Heat is very bad, n'kay."

Batteries last an average of two-thirds as long in hot climates as cold ones due to increased grid corrosion. Odyssey lifespan is 3-10 years and will usually give you an indication before catastrophic failure on cranking, like totally dead cranking in Death Valley that strands car drivers at times according the the ranger at the Chevron gas station when I asked him "Do people get stranded out here?" (I was thinking about stuck wandering in the vastness, and not cars). Conversely, cold temps only renders them temporarily less effective. The metal jacket helps to distribute the heat buildup within the battery equally between the plates whereas the non-jacketed ones build up the heat on the outer plates and will cause them to fail before the inner ones. The metal will help the battery to live out its longer lifespan when I spoke to the rep. at one of the Cycle World shows.

Mine stays on a Battery Tender although I probably don't have to since I use the S1000RR far more (weight) and they have a long shelf/sitting around life. I've pushed the GT due to slow cranks and the battery got replaced shortly after that episode. It eventually cranked and started, but it happened when it was maybe only 6 months old in front of some Harley riders who were eying it over back then. It was new to the world then in 2006 too which didn't help the matter. Sort of embarrassing when that happens and you push it behind a gas station thinking, "What the foo is wrong with this damn thing now?" I've said that a lot too - just on other issues it had. :(

Mack

·
Registered
365 Posts
$48 with shipping for a Universal Battery UB12220 from shark batteries
$139 for an Odyssey from amazon

Hmmm, I have been getting 5-6 years with the stock BMW batteries and there has always been the weak start warning so I change it prior to full failure. I have the Universal Battery UB12220 in my 2000 Ducati, battery was bought in 2001or 2 it's starting to crank slow, time to change it. Yes both bikes are on floating chargers when they are not riden, park the bike plug it in.

$139 versus $48, that would be $91 left over for good beer or wine, what was the question again?

·
Registered
677 Posts
So, related to batteries: a few months ago I was getting solid red brake failure indicator light on 08 K1200GT (original battery). Left the bike on a charger while I was away for a few months out of town and the warning light is now GONE!

I had been worried it was one of those $1,800 ABS unit failures, but it seems that a low battery can trigger it too. Lucky this time....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts