BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an ‘02 K1200RS that’s a bit of a project bike. Should also add that this is my first bike that I’m looking to fix up and get running. I was curious as to the compatibility of parts between different years of production of the the K1200RS series. For example, if I was to find an exhaust off a ‘98 would it be compatible with my ‘02? Any information/links on that kind of thing would be appreciated.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Brian,

Lots of compatibility mechanically, and not as much cosmetically. 1998-2001 was one sub- generation, then a face lift model came out mid-'02. As time goes on, I'm probably not the only one that wonders if their spare parts will ever get used. I have a frame (with title) with a steering dampener attached to it, and many other mechanical parts. Although I would tend to hang on to my stock seat for those times I need to leave the bike with the dealer.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have an ‘02 K1200RS that’s a bit of a project bike. Should also add that this is my first bike that I’m looking to fix up and get running. I was curious as to the compatibility of parts between different years of production of the the K1200RS series. For example, if I was to find an exhaust off a ‘98 would it be compatible with my ‘02? Any information/links on that kind of thing would be appreciated.
Since your profile here shows a USA flag as location (Just below your alias "briankan3"), I would suggest to use MAX-BMW parts fiche to check diagrams and compatibility - prices shown in $US$. There are other BMW motorcycles part catalog on the internet, however after many years, I would say this one is the best / easiest to use:

On the entry page above, you will see on top, in 2nd row from left , 3 memu items that will be of interest to you:
  • K1200RS 98-01
  • K1200RS 02-04
  • K1200GT 03-04

Of course, it would take days / weeks to check every sub-pages of these 3 above to compare if they use the same diagram / assembly and same part numbers. Since I have done a lot of work on these 3 generation of models based on same basic design, I would say to always check each diagram in case of doubts - even more so when buying used parts on EBAY as vendors do not always knows all the details (these guys are parting mainly bikes from insurance).

In general, you can use these guidelines as a quick go / no-go for compatibilty:
1) all these 3 models above use the same basic engine / transmission / radiators / aluminium backbone frame (only the BLACK front and rear sub-frame have a few variations)

2) the 1st generation K1200RS has a different ABS brake system , different front brake caliper , different front rim (brake disk mounting). This also has implications that the main wire harness is a bit different (to / from ABS module).
This 1ist generation is 1998-2001 in USA --OR-- 1997-2000 in other countries.

3) All models from 2002-2005 have a VERY different and more complicated ABS brake system (a few 2005 were sold in USA but they were actually produced in 2004 at factory hence you see "-04" in list on MAX-BMW parts fiche)

4) All models from 2002-2005 have a wider and higher front nose fairing. The windshield mechanism / mounting is also different. Some came with optional wider rear rim to mount a 180/55 tire instead of 170/60 width like they had before. Some also came with optional electronic cruise-control (this will affect many other parts like handlebar switches on left)

5) The K1200GT of 2003-2004 is actually like a 2002-2004 K1200RS of the same period but with added options. Some of these options can be retrofitted to a K1200RS. Many of these options will affect other components like the main wire harness. Added features of the K1200GT were mainly:
  • electric adjustable windshield (instead of mechanical 2 positons like the K1200RS)
  • heated seat (not same right handlebar switches)
  • cruise-control
  • wider front nose fairing and also wider side fairings (they added some bolted winglets).

I probably forgot a few details, but this is getting a bit long ;-)

Reactions: briankan3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brian,

Lots of compatibility mechanically, and not as much cosmetically. 1998-2001 was one sub- generation, then a face lift model came out mid-'02. As time goes on, I'm probably not the only one that wonders if their spare parts will ever get used. I have a frame (with title) with a steering dampener attached to it, and many other mechanical parts. Although I would tend to hang on to my stock seat for those times I need to leave the bike with the dealer.
Since your profile here shows a USA flag as location (Just below your alias "briankan3"), I would suggest to use MAX-BMW parts fiche to check diagrams and compatibility - prices shown in $US$. There are other BMW motorcycles part catalog on the internet, however after many years, I would say this one is the best / easiest to use:

On the entry page above, you will see on top, in 2nd row from left , 3 memu items that will be of interest to you:
  • K1200RS 98-01
  • K1200RS 02-04
  • K1200GT 03-04

Of course, it would take days / weeks to check every diagrams of these 3 above to compare if they use the same disagrams and same part numbers. Since I have done a lot of work on these 3 generation of models based on same basic design, I would say to always check each diagram in case of doubts - even more so when buying used parts on EBAY as vendors do not always knows all the details (these guys are parting mainly bikes from insurance).

In general, you can use these guidelines as a quick go / no-go for compatibilty:
1) all these 3 models above use the same basic engine / transmission / radiators / aluminium backbone frame (only BLACK front and rear sub-frame have a few variations)

2) the 1st generation K1200RS has a different ABS brake system , different front brake caliper , different front rim (brake disk mounting). This also has implications that the main wire harness is a bit different (to/from ABS module).

3) All models from 2002-2005 have a VERY different and more complicated ABS brake system (a few 2005 were sold in USA but they were actually produced in 2004 at factory hence you see "-04" in list on MAX-BMW parts fiche)

4) All models from 2002-2005 have a different front nose fairing and a also different windshield mechanism / mounting. Some came with optional wider rear rim to mount a 180/55 tire instead of 170/60 width like they had before. Some also came with optional electronic cruise-control (this will affect many other parts like handlebar switches on left)

5) The K1200GT of 2003-2004 is actually like a 2002-2004 K1200RS of the same period but with added "factory only" options. Some of these options will affect other components like the main wire harness. Added featrures of the K1200GT were mainly:
  • electric adjustable windshield (instead of mechanical 2 positons like the K1200RS)
  • cruise-control
  • wider front nose fairing and also wider side fairings (they added some bolted winglets).

the more information the better, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
the more information the better, I appreciate it.
I forgot one of your basic question in your 1st post:
"For example, if I was to find an exhaust off a ‘98 would it be compatible with my ‘02? "

All exhaust from all years are compatible. The only cosmetic variation is the fact most 1997-1998 will have the 2nd rear half sectionr as brushed aluminium (was a bit of a dull finish). I believe some 1999 sold in USA also had the bruhed auminium finish.

All later models have this section of the exhaust as chrome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot one of your basic question in your 1st post:
"For example, if I was to find an exhaust off a ‘98 would it be compatible with my ‘02? "

All exhaust from all years are compatible. The only cosmetic variation is the fact most 1997-1998 will have the 2nd rear half sectionr as brushed aluminium (was a bit of a dull finish). I believe some 1999 sold in USA also had the bruhed auminium finish.

All later models have this section of the exhaust as chrome.
Good to know, thats one of the parts Im looking for specifically

·
Registered
71 Posts
Easiest way to check is to use realoem.com. Go there, find your year/model number and it will list all the parts by part number that were put on your bike when it was built. The magic about this site is, if you drill down to the part number, it will then tell you what other bikes use that part and if it has been superseded along with the new part number.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Brian,
I have some various K12RS parts collecting dust that may be of interest for your worthy project.
PM me for a complete list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

• K1200RS 98-01
  • K1200RS 02-04
  • K1200GT 03-04

Of course, it would take days / weeks to check every sub-pages of these 3 above to compare if they use the same diagram / assembly and same part numbers. Since I have done a lot of work on these 3 generation of models based on same basic design, I would say to always check each diagram in case of doubts - even more so when buying used parts on EBAY as vendors do not always knows all the details (these guys are parting mainly bikes from insurance).

1) all these 3 models above use the same basic engine / transmission / radiators / aluminium backbone frame (only the BLACK front and rear sub-frame have a few variations)

2) the 1st generation K1200RS has a different ABS brake system , different front brake caliper , different front rim (brake disk mounting). This also has implications that the main wire harness is a bit different (to / from ABS module).

4) All models from 2002-2005 have a wider and higher front nose fairing. The windshield mechanism / mounting is also different. Some came with optional wider rear rim to mount a 180/55 tire instead of 170/60 width like they had before. Some also came with optional electronic cruise-control (this will affect many other parts like handlebar switches on left)

5) The K1200GT of 2003-2004 is actually like a 2002-2004 K1200RS of the same period but with added options. Some of these options can be retrofitted to a K1200RS. Many of these options will affect other components like the main wire harness. Added features of the K1200GT were mainly:
  • cruise-control

• K1200RS 98-01
  • K1200RS 02-04
  • K1200GT 03-04

• cruise-control

How about compatibility between different models, mechanically speaking? K1200LT or GT to RS specifically

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Use the Max parts fiche.Click on the part number to copy it and then paste it in the "parts search" box.

That will open all the diagrams per model where that part is used.

Reactions: Beech and sailor
1 - 10 of 10 Posts