BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay Gang,
There is a red trouble light next to the red ABS (right) . It has the triangle with the exclamation point in the triangle. I usually associate this with brake issues but does it also warn of other issues? Mine came on a few rides back on my way home and I immediately thought of brake fluid being low, since I recently replaced my ABSII unit. All fluid levels were up. Next ride no light at all, then this past weekend it came on more and more. The morning I was leaving for home it was off until I was very near home and accelerated hard on an entrance ramp and then noticed it came on after the hard acceleration. Can this also indicate the battery is getting weak? I have an appointment to take it in to get checked but if I don't have to that would be better. The battery is rather old, but kept on a Battery Tender always, and I'm also wondering if may be the ABS unit needs a bleed. Thoughts and Thanks!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Don't you have paperwork for that bike? As in the rider's manual or sticker under the seat?The ones that list the iABS faults?

Replace the tail light bulb!That's what the solid light indicates,defective bulb! 1157 will do.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
H96669 how have you been....I do, and actually opened both of them up yesterday....maybe I overlooked that part, fighting off the moths that came out of them after I opened them. I think it's something else like a sticky rear brake switch. I'm digging into it this morning and will keep you posted. It's been sitting since Monday and when I turned the bike on to check battery voltage, the brake dash light was flashing rapidly, the red light in qiestion stayed on and the servo was running like one of the brakes was being applied. I turned it off then turned it back on and everything reset like normal. Shut it off then turned it back on again and the light was flashing rapidly but after about 10 seconds the flashing light went off but the light in question stayed on and I had no rear brake servo. I don't think that's in the manual.....Lol!!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Still replace the bulb and clean all the connections to the rear brake light.That is how I got myself out of my on the road iABS fault(rear brake) last year.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My buddy cameover last Friday and we tore into the brake system. Bled all the calipers then the servo. When we were done I turned the bike on but the fault was still there. Dejected I cleaned up and went to cut grass. All that took about 2 hours. Cleaning up from that I decided to turn the bike on and low and behold the servo reset to normal. I took it out for a 50mile trip to make sure the computer reset and had no further issues. I guess the computer needs a little time for self diagnosis and reset. Afterwards, I did replace the tail light bulb, everything in the housing was spotless. We're going on a campin/fishing/K-bike rally this weekend in the mountains so I'll be giving it a good test then and yes, I'm taking some brake fluid for top off if needed. Cheers and I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the only time I had an ABS fault on my 04GT, turned out my rear brake fluid reservoir was low. check those. added some fluid and fixed it.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the only time I had an ABS fault on my 04GT, turned out my rear brake fluid reservoir was low. check those. added some fluid and fixed it.
Thanks, first place I went and it seemed good. No matter now since I bled and entire system, refilled all reservoirs and all seems good for now, all lights are out. Not sure what system the 2004 KGT has but my ABSII is a german cluster FU**! I believe they found this out and changed it by your model. I'm on my second servo. First one was rebuilt and lasted two years, this one lasted one year before faulet lit up. There will NOT be another servo. I already have the rear hard tube and the front tube is coming from Bob's BMW. Next time the servo goes bad it will sleep with the fish...

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
353 Posts
In the original post the writer mentions he feels good about his older battery because he uses a maintenance charger. On the surface this is good. But, an older battery can loose capacity due to sulfation and still have good voltage readings. This situation can lead to leaving you suck somewhere. A load test will not show capacity unless you repeat is several times in a row. You need a different tool for that. An easy way to deal with this for AGM batteries is to just replace it at the end of three years. I keep a maintenance charger rotating between my bikes, but I am aware that I'm fooling myself with an old battery on line.
Glad your bike is back to normal.

Reactions: cobbler

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the Problem of the two lights flashing slowly especially when the weather was cold , and with in half hour of riding a restart would have then go out . I though that the battery was on its ä out , I did know that the small brake fluid reservoir was on low , I've topped it up and no More flashing lights

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the original post the writer mentions he feels good about his older battery because he uses a maintenance charger. On the surface this is good. But, an older battery can loose capacity due to sulfation and still have good voltage readings. This situation can lead to leaving you suck somewhere. A load test will not show capacity unless you repeat is several times in a row. You need a different tool for that. An easy way to deal with this for AGM batteries is to just replace it at the end of three years. I keep a maintenance charger rotating between my bikes, but I am aware that I'm fooling myself with an old battery on line.
Glad your bike is back to normal.
Agreed, it should be replaced but if I can get the rest of this riding season out of it I’ll be thrilled. I carry a lithium charger with me just in case. I bet this battery is seven years old.

·
Registered
81 Posts
In my experience the brake light contact at the rear brake pedal can get dirty, rusted, misaligned etc. If the system senses no contact for this reason the warning light will flash. Clean it up and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In my experience the brake light contact at the rear brake pedal can get dirty, rusted, misaligned etc. If the system senses no contact for this reason the warning light will flash. Clean it up and see what happens.
That was the second place I went to. Fluid level first and rear brake next. Happy to report after my last outing in the mountains, all is good! We rode over 300 miles round trip and no brake issues. So far so good!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts