BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had an issue develop slowly over the miles a few Sundays ago when I got a vibration through my foot pegs and bars and a low drone noise on acceleration. Turned out to be the input shaft of the transmission........and a cracked #4 header pipe at the converter .....and a #4 air box intake boot tear. I originally thought the front u-joint was going bad but after all those miles AND pulling a Unigo trailer for about half those miles and the u-joints are like brand new. When I found the u-joints to be good the next thing I did was pull the final drive drain plug and check for excessive metal on the magnet, all good there then found excessive fine metal powder on the magnet of the transmission drain plug magnet. Final drive gears and bearings were tight. BMW wanted $35 for the bearing and $24 for the seal, I picked them both up at a local bearing house (MMB Bearings Mooresville, NC) for $14 for both, and the bearing was original OEM mfg. Got the pipe welded at a friends race shop for free and the boot cost me $19.50 for a set of (4) used ones. Fairly simple job so long as you have a good friend, the right tools and a manual. My bike has 108K miles on it so anyone going in for a rear main seal replacement be sure to check the input shaft for any small amount of wear and replace it if any movement in the shaft is detected. Goes to show how you never notice an issue as you grow old with it, it just becomes normal. It feels like a new bike again with absolutely no vibration at all. I just love the flat four, what a horse. I'm not taking my RS for granted anymore as I have. Now every spring the tank comes off for throttle body boots, vacuum line cleaning and inspection, lube the final drive splines, grease the foot peg and rear brake levers and a good cleaning with the tupperware off, check wheel bearings and brake pads. Gotta take care of the Ole Girls and they'll take care of you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow. That's what I should be doing as well. 145,000km on my '02. And I plan to keep it until I die (est. 2045!)
I need the fuel injectors cleaned for sure. But the bike has been running really well all year. Last year I replaced the
fuel filter. Seemed I was having the opposite of a so-called surging issue. The problem didn't totally go away. But early this season, putting some Sea Foam in the tank seemed to be a cure all.
Still have a new set of plug wires to go in, but I'm not able to detect any arcing, so I will leave well enough alone.
All is good. Volare sens ali.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. That's what I should be doing as well. 145,000km on my '02. And I plan to keep it until I die (est. 2045!)
I need the fuel injectors cleaned for sure. But the bike has been running really well all year. Last year I replaced the
fuel filter. Seemed I was having the opposite of a so-called surging issue. The problem didn't totally go away. But early this season, putting some Sea Foam in the tank seemed to be a cure all.
Still have a new set of plug wires to go in, but I'm not able to detect any arcing, so I will leave well enough alone.
All is good. Volare sens ali.
I suggest a regime of fuel injector cleaner. I run cleaner every five tanks or so. Right now I have Marvel Mystery Oil in it just to free any sticky top ring issues, not saying there is one but it has used oil a little lately. It's not leaking or burning so it may be blowing by. I use either Lucas or Sea Foam, mostly Sea Foam as of late but Marvel works well too. Using different gas/petrol stations all the time can lead to hoobies in your injectors, so if you don't or can't keep the same type of gas/petrol every fill-up then I'd get a routine going for injector cleaners going for sure. Not running premium gas/petrol in the tank may cause soem surging, my idle surges if I put in a mid-grad, may be the ECU adjusting constantly for the lower octane.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts