BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 K1200gt with some sort of electronic problem. With the key switched off, the headlight stays on and drains the battery. I have replaced the ignition switch (pain in the butt) and the problem remains. Does anyone have any ideas?

The confusing part, it really is intermittent. Sometimes it turns off after a few minutes, other times hours and the last time it completely drained my battery. With the switch off, the turn signals operate as well and the red light for the hazards is illuminated. Since I have this thing apart, are there relays I should be testing?

The headlight does not have a delay that I am aware of. Am I at least right on that?

Stranded in Nixa

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My headlight doesn't have an off position. Just a high and low. Rocking it back and forth doesn't produce evidence of a short, it just goes highbeam to lowbeam. Also, rocking, left to right of the handlebars doesn't reveal a shorted wire. I really am at a loss.

Does the 2003 K 1200 Gt have a headlamp relay?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Are you sure it's the headlight and not that silly European style marker light for parking? That can be turned off with the directional switches if you check your manual.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Low beam headlight power is relay-controlled(remember the light goes out when starting?).
I don't have a wiring diagram, but I would look around the load relief relay (#8, see the attachment) in the electric box. Plus the Germans are great at switching the - or ground wire for control.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is definately the headlights and not the marker lights. Since I have the thing torn apart, is it suggested I look at the load relief relay itself? I do have a Clymer's manual to get some direction.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Pull fuse #4 in fuse box 1. That should kill the low beams and panel lights. If not, short city.

It might be the load relief relay. Still, it seems a little odd it would stay energized with the switch off. Its possible the relay's contacts are sticking. Do the lights always go off when you hit the starter? If so, the odds it's the relay drop. Still, give the thing a whack or two with screwdriver handle to see if the contacts release. Don't try for an "out of the park homerun" whack, just a "now, have I got your attention" whack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bingo. You guys are great. I pulled the load relief relay and simply swapped it for the horn relay of the same type and my lights functioned properly with the key. I ordered a new relay for $15 with tax. The relay contacts appeared to be sticking, thus the intermittent problem. I only wish I would have gone the relay route prior to the ignition switch route and saved about $100. Anybody need a good deal on a used ignition switch for a 2003 k1200gt?

This forum rocks!!!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ah, but look at this way. You now have $100 worth of experience in places some people will never understand. :D

Anyway, congratulations on spotting the sticking contacts - it's ultimately a lot better news than finding out you have flaky wiring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts