BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone can help me out. I am looking for a passenger back rest for my 2003K1200GT. My son is 7 and loves to ride with me but needs some support. I have found almost nothing out there except a few that were over $400. Any ideas or anyone have one for sale?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Price problem

I can understand your money concers but safety is a big deal for any person especially your son. He needs to feel secure. I do not have any suggestions other than on line used sales. Good luck wish my son had expressed an interest, but I could never get him to try.

·
Registered
677 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also ride an 03 K1200GT. I'm wondering how your 7 year old holds on as there are no grips or places to do so unless he holds on to a ba behind him. My wife rides with me. I have a large GIVI tail case with a pad. It works well. I also have a soft bag that I got with the bike. It mounts on the original rear plate device that is curved up. If you are interested in that bag as it might work for you let me know. I'll be glad to try and find a way to get it to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004 K12GT. Fortunately, it came with a passenger backrest. For the passenger to hang on, however, I use a black (24", I believe) EPDM bungee strap looped around the seat just behind the raised portion (in front of the passenger) and hook the metal S-hooks together under the seat. It's a rather cheap, but elegant solution (if I do say so myself) as it's strong as heck, but gives just enough to get fingers under for a good hold. Plus, it blends in well with the seat and is weatherproof. Only problem is that the hooks interfere with getting the seat on easily. Next time I remove the seat, I'm going to also remove one of the strap S-hooks and thread the end of the remaining hook thru the hole on the other end of the strap. That will cut down on the added thickness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts